Why become a member? ×

Marcus Miller live @ the Barbican

Grand Wazoo

Much to my surprise he DID play a [b]Sire 5 strings [/b]bass for the first 2 songs, then.... he went to his proper Fender Japan MM Model :)

And he also had a MusicMan Stingray 4 as a back up bass, but he never used it, I would have loved to hear what that sounded like in his hands but the Sire did fair pretty well and low and behold, played by Marcus sounded like Marcus, which goes to show that more often than not a signature sound is in the player's hands and not so much the gear he uses.

[url="https://flic.kr/p/A1Gb6h"][/url]

[url="https://flic.kr/p/A1Gb6h"]Marcus Miller Live at the Barbican London 26th Oct 2015[/url] by [url="https://www.flickr.com/photos/fcamardo_night_time_photography/"]Francesco Camardo[/url], on Flickr

Edited by Grand Wazoo

I'm sure he picked up the musicman, it was just after he was talking about the island he visited off the coast of Senegal and the song it inspired. He played the sax to start with and then picked that one up (I thought it was fretless to be honest!)

Personally I thought the five string wasn't as defined as his usual 4, but my god when he picked up that 4...amazing stuff.

[quote name='jimmy23cricket' timestamp='1445942791' post='2895538']
I'm sure he picked up the musicman, it was just after he was talking about the island he visited off the coast of Senegal and the song it inspired. He played the sax to start with and then picked that one up (I thought it was fretless to be honest!)

Personally I thought the five string wasn't as defined as his usual 4, but my god when he picked up that 4...amazing stuff.
[/quote]

Ah... That must have been when I went to the loo :)

I thought that was a Sire!

Indeed, he played the fretless MusicMan on Gorée, the track about slavery.

For anyone interested, the set list:

Hylife
B's River
Papa Was A Rolling Stone
Jean Pierre
Gorée
Son of Macbeth

Encore:
Never Too Much snippet
Detroit / Tutu / Blast medley

Think I noted everything!

[quote name='smaz' timestamp='1445952955' post='2895641']
I thought that was a Sire!

Indeed, he played the fretless MusicMan on Gorée, the track about slavery.

For anyone interested, the set list:

Hylife
B's River
Papa Was A Rolling Stone
Jean Pierre
Gorée
Son of Macbeth

Encore:
Never Too Much snippet
Detroit / Tutu / Blast medley

Think I noted everything!
[/quote]

Seen him in Cork Saturday and he played Run for cover and a few others .

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1445941369' post='2895519']
then.... he went to his proper Fender Japan MM Model :)

And he also had a MusicMan Stingray 4 as a back up bass
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure his regular 4 string was made in America in 1977...... and the Musicman is a Sterling fretless piezo - which he now seems to use as his main fretless bass!!

I'm a regular attendee to MM gigs and I thought that The Barbican gig was one of his better ones. Bigger band and more energy than the last couple of times I've seen him.
He certainly made that (circa £400) Sire bass sound good but, as mentioned above, when the '77 Jazz came out it sounded much deeper and refined.