Why become a member? ×

Danelectro longhorn vs Guild Starfire bass

The-Ox

Danelectro has single coil pickups and weighs not a lot, has a smaller body and thinner neck width wise. Guild has humbuckers and is heavier but not by a lot and has a much bigger body. Both are great basses but having owned both, I found that the Danelectro was a lot more 'fun' to play. The Guild is a much higher quality build, but is also more expensive. IMO, the Danelectro has a wider range of useable tones available.

Does that help a bit?

The Guild Starfire has single coils (Bisonics just look like humbuckers). I'd not let your P bass go as the Guild and Dano are vastly different. I have a P and a Guild for variation. Don't know much about Dano's, but the ones I've played sound a bit like cardboard, but I don't mean that in a bad way. The guild has depth and a thump, you'd need to try both really and see how you feel

You will find the short scale on both these guitars a bit of a contrast to the 34ins on your P bass, generally bass players consider the short scale to lack tone depth, but it is a matter of opinion. The Danelectro body is a curious laminate involving Masonite which some people describe as a form of cardboard. If the bass body adds to the resonance and tone of the instrument, and most of us think it does, then the Danelectro body is very low in resonance. Guild basses are generally well made but have never been popular, not only short scale and very narrow at the nut end, ok if you have small hands, otherwise quite uncomfortable. There's a reason why P & J basses have become the industry standard, Leo got it right and luthiers ever since and followed suit because it makes for good sounding instruments.

Thank you everyone for your replies! I guess it is a case of trying them both out. I tried the dano and loved its tone, i prefer a trebly dry tone that it offers, although i haven't tried a guild.

This sounds like a repeates question, and i do realise its dependant on the individual, but what would the general consensus be when it comes to these two?

There is little comparison between these two basses and also neither compares with a Precision bass.

The Guild pickups are single coils not humbuckers (as BA says). The two pickup Starfire will have a wider range of tones than the single pickup version.

I've only once played a Danelectro and I'd say it feels like a bit of a toy in comparison.

Neither is a replacement for a Precision bass.

[quote name='Grahambythesea' timestamp='1445340597' post='2890651']
... Guild basses are generally well made but have never been popular, not only short scale and very narrow at the nut end, ok if you have small hands, otherwise quite uncomfortable...
[/quote]
I don't have small hands, I like a 1.75" Precision neck, but I have always found the Guild Starfire neck very comfortable.

It's clear there is a subjective element to anything we say about this matter.

Cheers mate fair enough
I guess the fender model is good for a reason, mine just happens to be a cheap 2nd hand one. And with everyone's second bass, they look to try and pick one that goes with their own tone

The action on mine is a bit too high for my liking too, although that might be a configuration problem as opposed to the fender itself.

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1445380965' post='2891149']
Cheers mate fair enough
I guess the fender model is good for a reason, mine just happens to be a cheap 2nd hand one. And with everyone's second bass, they look to try and pick one that goes with their own tone

The action on mine is a bit too high for my liking too, although that might be a configuration problem as opposed to the fender itself.
[/quote]

I'd not worry about the Guild. They're pricey and thin on the ground. Spend your money on a decent set-up for your P bass. When it's done it'll probably feel like a new bass anyway. Then if you want to get another bass get the Dano as there's more around and if it's not for you you'll easily be able to move it on without much loss. If you have both you'll have two very different basses which will give you a much more varied range. The Dano looks cool and looks like fun.

Cheers Billy, i think it may be worth looking into my p bass first. I forgot to mention its a squier haha

You're right when i played the dano it was fun and at around £300 quid its not too bad an investment. Wunjo bass centre in london has both so I'll give them both a try

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1445424221' post='2891312']
I bought my Guild Starfire in the early 80s. It was a 70s model, black and had twin pickups and they were definitely humbuckers, which is one of the things I didn't like about it. The new ones have single coils.
[/quote]
Ah yes, 1960s was single coils, 1970s was humbuckers, 1990s reissue was humbuckers, 2010s reissue is single coils.

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1445443046' post='2891535']
2010 reissues are single coils? Interesting indeed
[/quote]Yes, they're "reissues" of the original Bi-Sonics, but the word on the street is that they sound very little like the originals.

To the OP's question; it's a little like asking to compare bacon to avocados: I love bacon. I love avocados. But if I had to compare the two, I'd be at a loss for words.
The Guilds, as others have accurately stated are well-made, larger, have very thin necks and will have a less woolly tone than Gibson hollowbodies of similar design (because of the design and placement of the pickups).
Danelectros are crudely made (in a wonderful sort of way), smaller, lighter in weight and tend to have a tone that's strong in midrange (thanks to the lipstick tube pickups).
As to which would suit your needs better - you'd really have to try them out and see. Personally, I think Danos are a blast to play and find Guild necks too slight for me, although I like their tone, but my hands and ears may not look for the same things yours do.

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1445456321' post='2891685']
Cheers essentialtension! Jack Casady rocked the guild!

I'm gonna go to wunjo see if they have single coil, would suit my preference. Although would you say his tone in white rabbit was humbucker?
[/quote]

White Rabbit predates the Guild and was Casady's Jazz bass with a Precision humbucker at the neck ...

[quote]
[b]FlyGuitars[/b] So when you first joined Jefferson Airplane you were using Fender basses?

[b]Jack Casady[/b] Yeah the first three albums are recorded with a Fender Jazz bass, and I customised that by adding a P pickup right butted up against the neck. So in essence I had on the very bassy end of the speaking length of the string an offset P pickup and then two bar pickups of the Jazz bass. [/quote]
[url="http://www.flyguitars.com/interviews/jackCasadyFenderBass.php"]http://www.flyguitars.com/interviews/jackCasadyFenderBass.php[/url]

[media]http://youtu.be/WANNqr-vcx0[/media]