Why become a member? ×

Newcomer to the world of stacks...

Paulliverpool

Hello all, I am about to take delivery of a 1995 MIM Jazz V, and have stupidly signed up to several bass groups on FB, so I am getting really bad GAS...

I currently run an Epifani UL501 with a cute Bergantino 1x10" cab. It is more than loud enough for practice and as onstage monitor, as I always DI into club systems.

As a longtime DB player I am still getting my head around amplification, and have very little experience to compare my setup to others.

Questions: I have seen a Trace 1518t 1x15" (Red Stripe) for £90. I am now GASsing for a second cab.

-How much would an additional cab improve/alter my sound?

-With my existing kit what size would be best for the new cab (12", 15" etc)

-What kind of make would you recommend around the £125 mark?

Thanks in advance, low end brothers and sisters x

A second cab - especially the same cab again - will make a huge difference to the sound. Not so much in terms of volume, but in "size" of sound, as essentially you`re doubling it. And having the same cabs means that you can use one for rehearsals/small gigs, and just use the other for the larger performances, with no need to re-eq. So my recommendation is get two of whichever suits.

Hah doghouse, it is indeed your Trace, damn you! The thought of TWO cabs hadn't even occurred to me before I saw that. Always had a thing for Trace. I may be contacting you soon.

Lozz - that thought (2 of the same) hadn't even occurred to me - I was of the understanding that a 10" plus a bigger cab would give a nice high/low balance?

Small discount on the cab given to fellow Basschatters, if interested :-)

It's a common belief that 10s give the highs and 15s etc give more lows. But much depends on the construction of the cabinet and the characteristics of the speaker. There are many clever people here who will happily give you chapter and verse on speaker size and frequency response

Edited by inthedoghouse

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Paulliverpool' timestamp='1445192609' post='2889509']

Questions: I have seen a Trace 1518t 1x15" (Red Stripe) for £90. I am now GASsing for a second cab.

-What kind of make would you recommend around the £125 mark?

[/quote]

Well that trace cab, and pretty much anything else your going to get in your price range is probably going to be something of a sonic downgrade when paired with a top tier cab like a berg. As others have said the best way to get move forward with a rig you already like is additional matched cabs, but that would be way over your stated budget so I dont know where that leaves you tbh ... perhaps reconsider your budget, I mean youve obviously spent proper money on all your existing gear (including the new bass I imagine).

I have a Barefaced Super twin which has the 2x12's. I was always a multiples of 10 type of guy as I thought that would give me more punch per pound. I am now converted, although I would still think twice about 15's !

[quote name='Paulliverpool' timestamp='1445196601' post='2889561']
Lozz - that thought (2 of the same) hadn't even occurred to me - I was of the understanding that a 10" plus a bigger cab would give a nice high/low balance?
[/quote]

Well in general, although speaker size itself doesn`t have anything to do with highs/lows, invariably a 1x15 in the same make/range of cabs will be voiced for more lows than a 210 - it seems that`s the way the companies make them. And yes, having a 210/115 set-up can sound great (I`ve had a few myself) but then you`re in the position of always having to cart both about to get your sound. Whereas sorting the sound needed with one cab, then adding in a second, you just get double of what you already like.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1445269944' post='2890108']
And yes, having a 210/115 set-up can sound great (I`ve had a few myself) but then you`re in the position of always having to cart both about to get your sound. Whereas sorting the sound needed with one cab, then adding in a second, you just get double of what you already like.
[/quote]
Very true