Why become a member? ×

TKS112 vs BF one 10

cremonabass

I'm looking for a lightweight cab to use for small gigs and rehearsals and these two seem to get a lot of interest on BC....
I guess it's a small chance, but has anybody experience with both these cabs?
They are both light and small, price is about the same in the Netherlands, I'm interested in the differences in sound.
It should handle a B string well and keep up with a not too loud drummer, I'll use it with a Glockenklang Blue Sky , fretted. fretless BG and DB
mainly jazz/fusion and blues stuff.

If it wasn't that expensive and relatively heavy I would go for a Berg HD112, so that's the sound I'm more or less looking for, other recommendations in the
same weight and price class are welcome of course!

I'd have thought comparing the S112 to the Super Compact would have been a fairer comparison but either way I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts too. I'll shortly be in the market for new cabs & the TKS S112 (two of them for me) is the forerunner at the moment.

The new tweeter-less Purple Chilli 112 could be an option too, though I've not heard/seen anyone using them yet.

Edited by Lw.

I can say the s112 is a very capable cab but I'd think you'd need two for most bands
I'd guess the same for the 10 as well.
I'm not sure what you can realistically expect from singles, tbh.
Sure, they might just about cope with the volume..depending on a lot of things, but
that is the least of your concerns.

Yes I know from experience that a single 1x12 isn't enough most of the times if you have to put a pillow under the band, but for monitoring
and more quiet gigs they are great.
I have a glock 15 inch which is loud enough for me, but rather big....
The difference in tonal character is what interests me most between the TKS and BF, there are some clips on youtube but if anyone has heard them both in the flesh?

The tone of the s112 is great...lends itself to hard pick break up, and also a more funk element.
I wouldn't say its is completely at home 'flat' but it has quite a smooth..not bassey, sound.
Some 12"s cabs I've used are definitely compromises in between percieved 15" and 10" ground
and that is a lot of ground to cover.
I don't think anyone will have any complaints about the TKSs112 tone..but I'd have a tweeter in it
if just the one.

Maybe' it is emperors news clothes but my mates rave over this new rig... where I run TKS 112's with a Demeter.
It is pretty clean and can be spikey if you want it to be.
Never the bassiest of cabs..and who'd want that anyway... but full and deep but with attack.... never boxey...IMO.

Build quality is almost Berg like...and that is probably just style thing than anything else.

10kgs for a ceramic cab... I'd say that stands a very good chance of getting close to an HD.
All my cabs are ceramic speakers...and s112 sit well with my DB cabs as well..

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1444925969' post='2887439']
The tone of the s112 is great...lends itself to hard pick break up, and also a more funk element.
I wouldn't say its is completely at home 'flat' but it has quite a smooth..not bassey, sound.
Some 12"s cabs I've used are definitely compromises in between percieved 15" and 10" ground
I don't think anyone will have any complaints about the TKSs112 tone..but I'd have a tweeter in it
if just the one.

Maybe' it is emperors news clothes but my mates rave over this new rig... where I run TKS 112's with a Demeter.
Never the bassiest of cabs..and who'd want that anyway... but full and deep but with attack.... never boxey...IMO.

Build quality is almost Berg like...and that is probably just style thing than anything else.

10kgs for a ceramic cab... I'd say that stands a very good chance of getting close to an HD.
[/quote]

Just remember though that, as far as I know, all those cabs use the same driver so the performance will be similar so you have to ask - if that is indeed correct, what are you paying for between the cheapest and most expensive?

Frank

I don't think the drivers will sound the same. Both Bergs and Barefaced (don't know about TKS) use custom versions of standard speakers so there will be differences and the implementation will be totally different in all three. As I understand it, Alex's cabs use a unique design, and then there's a night and day difference if crossovers are used.

IMO a B string with a fat low mid EQ at lower volumes needs a 112 sized cab. With a band and a normally loud drummer I'd always use 2 112's or a 212.

I haven't heard any [i]bad[/i] cabs for years, so you've either got to be brave and guess, or play them all to see where your preferences lie.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1444925969' post='2887439']
if just the one.

[/quote]

Thanks Jtuk, wasn't it you who wrote in a thread that the TKS sits in between the Aggie Sl112 and the Berg CN112?
Those cabs I know, the Aggie was a bit too bassy and the CN112 too middy for my taste (a bit oversimplified...)so the TKS would be more to my liking.
Until now I always prefer ceramic speakers in 12inch cabs and I heard most of them...but I don't want to start another debate about neo vs ceramic!

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1444930756' post='2887476']
There is always the lighter Berg CN112

I have the OneTen and it is very capable. The low B on my Marleaux is amazing with it.
[/quote]

I know the CN112 a little bit, besides the price which is almost double of the TKS and BF overhere, I didn't really like the sound.
The "neo mids/high mids" were too prominent for me.

It is good to hear the the one 10 copes well with a B string!

[quote name='cremonabass' timestamp='1444938078' post='2887568']
Thanks Jtuk, wasn't it you who wrote in a thread that the TKS sits in between the Aggie Sl112 and the Berg CN112?
Those cabs I know, the Aggie was a bit too bassy and the CN112 too middy for my taste (a bit oversimplified...)so the TKS would be more to my liking.
Until now I always prefer ceramic speakers in 12inch cabs and I heard most of them...but I don't want to start another debate about neo vs ceramic!
[/quote]

I actually put the TKS in the lead from those 3 but I also said I'd be happy to use any of them. I had AE112's at the time.
In the demo the S112 was the only ceramic one and has a more pleasing voicing to my ears.
I was quite taken with the CN112 tho.... but I wanted something a bit more organic for a light rig
so the TKS was the one..( I brought 2 )
The amps we used were a PF500 and a TH500 and the S112 suited them very well.... but I've changed amps
and run a Demeter into them... and I feel that a NEO would be too much for my liking. For me, the Demeter
is a better match with the Ceramics TKS's IMO

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1444936467' post='2887555'] Both Bergs and Barefaced (don't know about TKS) use custom versions of standard speakers[/quote]

Our 10CR250 isn't a custom version of any standard speaker - obviously we don't get a frame stamped or cast for us, we just use an off-the-shelf frame that fits our needs. But everything else is unique, motor, voicecoil, soft parts etc. There's literally nothing else even vaguely similar on the market.

At the size of manageable bass rigs, everything is too small to be efficient at dealing with the lower frequencies from a low B, so the size of the cab is a moot point, be it a 1x8" or 2x15" or anything in between. What matters is the volume displacement (cone area x cone excursion), enclosure design and tuning frequencies.

Edited by alexclaber

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1444982364' post='2887767']
Our 10CR250 isn't a custom version of any standard speaker - obviously we don't get a frame stamped or cast for us, we just use an off-the-shelf frame that fits our needs. But everything else is unique, motor, voicecoil, soft parts etc. There's literally nothing else even vaguely similar on the market.
[/quote]

OK, thanks for the info.