Why become a member? ×

Being A Member Of More than One Band.

blue

Back in the 60's the music world was run by the managers, promoters, agents and record execs. The opinion of musicians wasn't required!!

If you had a contract you turned up.

I saw Jimi Hendrix playing a pub gig while he had a record in the charts because they had a contract.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='HengistPod' timestamp='1444915463' post='2887287']
High-profile deps include (off the top of my head):

Metallica's guitar roadie playing James Hetfield's parts following a pyro accident.
[/quote]
That was John Marshall. I was all set to correct you because I knew him as the guitarist for Metal Church, but some prudent fact checking shows that he was also Kirk Hammet's guitar tech. I had no idea that was the case. I had wondered at the time why they picked him, now I know.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1444981054' post='2887754']

But he didn't! I'm sure that this would have had something to do with money and legal commitments to Aussie promoters, but also because they knew that a dep drummer (who was better than the original) could cover the gig well enough for them to fulfil their obligations without any major difficulties...
[/quote]

Remember, for The Beatles it wasn't about being the best drummer. It was about being a Beatle. Nicol's was not Beatles material.IMO

Blue

Edited by blue

My cousin played in a string quartet that had (probably still has) about 20 members; the manager would take any booking that came in and pull together whoever was available. They were all expected to know the same repertoire. It was all about the wedding gigs and on a busy Saturday in June he'd have anything up to four quartets playing in different venues round the country at once, all using the same name... I've wondered since whether the same approach could be taken in other genres.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1445030337' post='2888380']
Remember, for The Beatles it wasn't about being the best drummer. It was about being a Beatle. Nicol's was not Beatles material.IMO

Blue
[/quote]
But he got them thru the gig (or in this case tour) and they got paid, which is the job of a dep...!

[quote name='JoeEvans' timestamp='1445030677' post='2888385']
My cousin played in a string quartet that had (probably still has) about 20 members; the manager would take any booking that came in and pull together whoever was available. They were all expected to know the same repertoire. It was all about the wedding gigs and on a busy Saturday in June he'd have anything up to four quartets playing in different venues round the country at once, all using the same name... I've wondered since whether the same approach could be taken in other genres.
[/quote]

Some bookers do that...altho whether they keep the name, I'm less sure...but they can put multiple line-ups together.
Some guys are so busy running the bands, they don't play in them anymore.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1444981054' post='2887754']
But he didn't! I'm sure that this would have had something to do with money and legal commitments to Aussie promoters, but also because they knew that a dep drummer (who was better than the original) could cover the gig well enough for them to fulfil their obligations without any major difficulties...
[/quote]

Not sure why you think he was better than Ringo, but it doesn't really matter. By even this early stage in their mega-stardom The Beatles already knew that the audience wouldn't be able to hear them on stage anyway ...