Why become a member? ×

Lightweight advice

Basszilla

Hi all

Not posted in an age, so here I am with a question for the BC masses...

I'm a long time matamp user(gt200mk1 and 610) and I absolutely love the sound my setup gives me. However, it is pretty darn heavy, and coupled with the load in/load out routine I am struggling to get about as quickly as I'd like to.
Carting a 610 single handedly up the steps to my house is just overkill on my aging frame.

What can I get in a lightweight set up that will get me 90% of the way there soundwise? I'm so out of touch with the gear market since getting my matamp I've no idea what's out there these days.

Music is mainly loud metal/hard rock, but I do like to record hiphop bass for a side project.

My requirements :-

*500watts
*Fat clear sound with ability to take pedals well
*210/410 w/jack AND speakon connect
*Cab to pair with my valve head occasionally

I'm quite open to suggestion cab wise but it's got to sound good with my valve amp and be lightweight. Maybe a 210? A 215?

Cheers all :)

Tim

Depending on budget of course, a Barefaced Super 12 (2x12 config) will go for about £600ish, and be more than enough. If you can stretch further, Bergantino cabs are great. Both of these companies do a 212 thats around 40lbs. I too have an aging frame, coupled with a bad shoulder/back, and the Barefaced Super 12 is a doddle for me. It has built in wheels so I can drag it around like a shopping trolley. And performance wise, well it doesn`t colour the sound of the bass/amp so what goes in comes out the same.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1444387651' post='2882774']
Depending on budget of course, a Barefaced Super 12 (2x12 config) will go for about £600ish, and be more than enough. If you can stretch further, Bergantino cabs are great. Both of these companies do a 212 thats around 40lbs. I too have an aging frame, coupled with a bad shoulder/back, and the Barefaced Super 12 is a doddle for me. It has built in wheels so I can drag it around like a shopping trolley. And performance wise, well it doesn`t colour the sound of the bass/amp so what goes in comes out the same.
[/quote]

Yep, you're right but with a Matamp GT200 + 610 cab i'll bet that the OP wants the "colour" ;)

Thanks guys, cab suggestions sound great.

Both sound interesting. How is the retro volume wise? Is it going to stand up against a loud guitarist and drummer? Nice sound? I like the idea of a portable two driver cab...just makes life easier getting in and out of the car with rehersals etc.

I had a berg nv610 years ago which was a lovely cabinet, but I think I'd be more interested in giving the barefaced cabs a whirl.

[quote name='Basszilla' timestamp='1444401615' post='2882968']
Thanks guys, cab suggestions sound great.

Both sound interesting. How is the retro volume wise? Is it going to stand up against a loud guitarist and drummer? Nice sound? I like the idea of a portable two driver cab...just makes life easier getting in and out of the car with rehersals etc.

I had a berg nv610 years ago which was a lovely cabinet, but I think I'd be more interested in giving the barefaced cabs a whirl.
[/quote]

Big read but shall answer your questions: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/240410-barefaced-retro-two10/

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1444407107' post='2883061']

Big read but shall answer your questions: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/240410-barefaced-retro-two10/
[/quote]

There's not actually much info in that thread, it's mostly the brave early adopters justifiably moaning about how long they had to wait! (Apologies to those few!) There's much more feedback on here if you do some googling or also on our site.

A pair of Two10s should easily match most 6x10" cabs and one certainly won't be quiet.

Guest bassman7755

[QUOTE]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Is it going to stand up against a loud guitarist and drummer? [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][/QUOTE][/font][/color]

For any modern top spec cab I would confidently say "yes". IME modern high spec bass cabs have an abundance of capacity that doesn't often get fully exploited. Hence in terms of raw volume I maintain that a 2x12 / 2x10 setup can do almost any job and in the case of the very top end gear such as the BF gen 3 stuff you could probably take that down to a 1x12.

Thats not to say that there aren't good reasons for using more cabs including:
Better efficiency from a modestly powered amp
Better exploitation of an amps output impedence
More sound closer to ear level
It looks cool (yes this qualifies as a "good reason")

Dont get hung up on the idea that because you had a 6x10 before that you need one now. With a decently powered amp a 2x10/212 cab will be fine. By all means consider doubling up on cabs, just be clear in your own mind why your doing it.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='Sparky Mark' timestamp='1444435404' post='2883334'] Not wishing to derail this thread but why are the Barefaced Two10s available as either 4 or 12 ohms? [url="http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/retro-two10.htm"]http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/retro-two10.htm[/url] [/quote]

The answer is in your link, just scroll down to the "4 or 12 ohms?" section :)