Why become a member? ×

The Bass Gallery - Excellent refret jobs!

bakerster135

Just thought I should give a shout-out here to The Bass Gallery, Camden, for anyone looking to get their vintage basses (especially maple fretboards) refretted.

I've had my 79 Stingray and 75 Jazz Bass in over the last couple of months, and Martin and John have done a fantastic job on them! They've taken the time to assess the necks and remove any unevenness. The varnishing is done incredibly well, keeping the vintage tint to not look out of place, but I now have what essentially feels like a new neck on both basses!

Amazing job, and would thoroughly recommend for anyone looking to have this important work undertaken...Pics to follow (when I get chance! ;-)).

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1444378704' post='2882652']
Yes Martin certainly knows what he's doing... I've always used him for any work I need doing on basses and guitars.

You've only got to look at the basses he makes to see the standard of his workmanship.
[/quote]

Definitely, the Sei basses are truly works of art!

I was playing the Stingray before work today, and it's just sublime...I was on the verge of trading it in for a Classic Stingray, but it's been given a new lease of life and is certainly a keeper now! :)

They sorted out the neck and frets on my knackered 83 black / maple precision a long time ago, it hasn't needed a setup since. I moved out of North London so I don't get to go as often as I used to, but I don't think I trust any other place with setups, I just wouldn't take my basses anywhere else. They're excellent.

Their defrets are pretty awesome too. I had the defret my old MM USA SUB. They refilled the fret cuts with maple, removed the dots and filled them with rosewood so that they were almost invisible. A top job and nice chaps too.

• 2 months later...

Never heard a bad word for The Gallery. I've had a couple of jobs done there, one of which was to fret a lined fretless Brubaker. I returned a week later to be told that it originally been fretted and the fretboard had been "levelled", so they had to remove all of the original levelled frets to put new in. No extra charge, and a superb job.