Why become a member? ×

Gordon Giltrap

TrevorR

Been a huge fan of Gordon's guitar playing for longer than I care to remenber. Such a great guitarist and such a lovely, self effacing guy (and a collector of amazing rhythm sections over the years given that they have included the bass players John Gustafson, John G Perry and Steve Anderson (of Threshold) and drummers Simon Phillips, Ian Mosely (of Marillion), Gerry Conway and Johanne James (also Threshold).).

So sad to see this news flash on his website this morning. Positive thoughts, prayers and hopes for a speedy, complete recovery beaming his way from this quarter...

"[size=3]Hello Everyone.[/size]

[size=3]I thought I should let friends and followers of my music know that on the 11[sup]th[/sup] of June this year I was diagnosed with a rare cancer called a[b] GIST[/b], which stands for [b]Gastro Intestinal Stromal Tumour[/b].[/size]

[size=3]Fortunately for me it is not at this time life threatening and hopefully will be sorted by surgery either later this year or early next. After surgery I will require at least a three month recovery period.[/size]

[size=3]This news has of course been life changing for Hilary and I, and I have just been put on a three to six month course of tablets to shrink the tumour to help make surgery less invasive. The tumour at the moment is basically the size of a small melon.[/size]

[size=3]To that end I have decided, for the time being at least not to accept any more engagements for 2016. Fortunately I have been able to continue with the engagements already in the book, however to all intents and purposes I have (for now) retired from the live arena.[/size]

[size=3]I’m going public with this not to elicit sympathy but to really let you know how things stand at the moment and why there are no bookings being arranged. As I mentioned earlier, fortunately what I have is not life threatening and I consider myself very fortunate indeed that it has been detected.[/size]

[size=3]Because of the present situation, Hilary and I are taking things a week or so at a time, making it incredibly difficult to make any long term plans.[/size]
[size=3]I hope you will understand that if you are moved to send a message (which of course will be gratefully received) I won’t be able to reply to everyone. You can leave any messages on my Forum page at [url="http://giltrap.co.uk/discussion/viewforum.php?f=13"]http://giltrap.co.uk/discussion/viewforum.php?f=13[/url] on the [b]Newsflash[/b] section - you will need to register if you have not already done so."[/size]

Lovely man, one of life's real gentlemen. I remember the first time I heard him, he came on introduced as a 'plectrum guitarist' in the open mic section of our local folk club in 1969. The host was a bit of a joker. I still cannot believe the sheer amount of sound he got out of the guitar that night, brilliant. If one of those gigs already booked is down my way I'm definitely off to see him again.

Edited by Phil Starr

I actually met him on couple occasions: first time was when he stayed in a room at our boarding house in Portrush in N.I. - we'd watched him do a gig supporting Mike Absalom at N.U.U. - would have been sometime early-mid 1974 from memory.

Subsequently at one of the RGT annual gatherings (he has been a patron of the Registry for many years).

A thoroughly nice man. Sad news but good that the prognosis is so positive.

A few years ago I was in the process of buying an old Hofner Senator bass that was reputed to have been owned by Gordon Giltrap and I wanted to test the provenance of it (and that the signature on the back of the headstock was actually his). I enquired via his website and was amazed to receive, the very next day, an email from the man himself including a photo of him playing it and a very nice message about the instrument itself. Not everyone would have done that.

A true gentleman and I wish him all the best.