Why become a member? ×

I need setup advice, kinda..

Funky Dunky

Right, brand new bass, came with stainless steel strings and I'm changing them for nickels tonight. The bass plays like a dream and I don't want to have to touch the truss rod or saddles. Ordinarily, one would change strings one at a time to avoid problems, yes?

Here's the problem - I'm putting block decals on the fretboard and I have to remove the strings to make sure they go on precise. Any idea how I avoid buggering the setup? Can it be done?

Thanks.

When you change strings you should always check the setup. Particularly when you change types. Don't be afraid of adjustments to a bass. There are loads of good videos on youtube that will help you. Jason from Fodera has just put up a series of very useful videos on the subject. If you are taking the strings off altogether then you can't really avoid having to check setup. Setup changes with climate conditions and your playing so should be checked and adjusted as a matter of course.

http://youtu.be/Jvm_DT0GHIM

Unless you're lucky those nickels are probably going to have a different tension anyway so you'll probably have to adjust the neck for relief (the same goes for intonation for that matter). If you do need to adjust the truss rod it won't be by much; maybe an eighth of a turn or so which won't hurt a bit.

Edited by HowieBass