Why become a member? ×

New Cab Day - Genz Benz

stuckinthepod

I had no need for it…. however....

Our drummer mentioned the bass player his old band was selling off his Genz Benz XB2 610 and gave me first refusal at a ridiculous low price. I could not let the opportunity pass by.
The guy even drove it over to my place on his way home from work (thank you Mike) and helped me get it situated. It is very big, very heavy and very nice.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/yq7NwA][/url]
Now what head to get??? I’d love an Ampeg CL but no way in hell am I affording that. I’m think the Bugera BVV300 or possibly an Orange or Ashdown? I'd like a valve amp rather than a hybrid. I’m in a classic and heavy rock covers band.

Thoughts and suggestions peeps. What goes well with Genz??????

Edited by stuckinthepod

[quote name='stuckinthepod' timestamp='1442406396' post='2866701']
I’m thinking the Bugera BVV300...
[/quote]

Yes, get one so you can let us know what it's like. :) There was a flurry of derision when these appeared (they'll be crap, they'll break down, they're essentially Behringer, and so on), but that was several years ago now and there have been few if any horror stories about unreliability, etc. And you don't see them up for sale second-hand either, which tells you something. They are an SVT CL clone and sound the part, apparently. And a lot cheaper to buy. And are self-biasing, though I don't know if that's a thing or a gimmick or what.

Nice cab, by the way. :)

Edited by discreet

I'd also suggest one of those Bugera's; mostly because I too want to know what they're like but don't want to put my own money up to find out, seeing as you got such a good deal on the cab it'd be rude not to really :-)

I think a couple of shops are selling the big orange tube heads (not the hybrid terrors) for just less than a grand now too which whilst being twice as much would probably be a safer bet.

Exactly, rude not to spend a bit more. :D

My thoughts are
Bugera BVV300 - I just can find anything that beats the specs of that amp. What else is there with 6 power amp valves and 4 preamp valves at sub £500? What else is there with a valve power section sub £500.

Out of my price range currently but lusted after
Orange AD200
Laney Nexus
Ampeg SVTCL
Ashdown CTM 300