Why become a member? ×

Live Sound Please Help!

Firey Jack

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1442405214' post='2866677']
Good news.

What 12 did you go for?

Are you still using the 2x8?
[/quote]

I used the 12 in an old Ashdown combo. I've got a TC RS112 on order which will be here for next gig week on Sat - excited about that!

Still using the 2 x 8 - hoping to replace this with another RS112 eventually - costs permitting :D

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1442411601' post='2866776']
I find also that the compressor on the TC gear is pretty good from off 0 to about 4 ( out of ten), after that it gets a bit ploppy, but in that range it rounds out your sound and gives a bit more punch, on my BH500.
[/quote]
Agreed - I've found I've always needed to watch how much I crank up the compressor and that there's a real optimum band - it's hard to decribe the result of too much, but ploppy is the best description I've heard! basically It sounds sh*t to me

[quote name='Firey Jack' timestamp='1442406741' post='2866709']

I used the 12 in an old Ashdown combo. I've got a TC RS112 on order which will be here for next gig week on Sat - excited about that!

Still using the 2 x 8 - hoping to replace this with another RS112 eventually - costs permitting :D
[/quote]

Before you dole out shed loads of cash you might find that having adjusted your tone and raised the cabs off the floor that the 15and 8s combination works just fine...

I remember the epiphany I had years ago when I realised happy face eq was not the way to go. Since then my band mates have loved hearing the bass nice and loud. It cuts through and fills without swamping. Glad you have come aboard mate. Rock on !

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1441548095' post='2859687']
Driver size has no bearing on frequency. :)
[/quote]

Since Trace has been specifically mentioned I'll repeat what I've said in other threads, it has always surprised me what a wide range of frequencies I can cover with the Trace 15" speaker in my combo. It doesn't miraculously become significantly 'brighter' when I plug in the 2x10 SWR ext cab though it does marginally improve the overrall tone otherwise I wouldn't lug it around.
As for the OP I'd be nudging the singer toward some decent IEM's.

Edited by KevB

Another thought, if the front of house sound is fine and you still can't hear yourself, invest in some decent earplugs (such as Proguard Noizezz) as they will cut out a bit of everything but more guitar than bass will go. I use these a lot and I can hear every instrument clearly with them.

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1442601040' post='2868192']
Another thought, if the front of house sound is fine and you still can't hear yourself, invest in some decent earplugs (such as Proguard Noizezz) as they will cut out a bit of everything but more guitar than bass will go. I use these a lot and I can hear every instrument clearly with them.
[/quote]I have the opposite problem, I can hardly hear the guitar (we only use monitors for the vocals) ear plugs make it worse, although I still use them, all the ear plugs I've tried, including ACR pro custom jobs all cut more treble that bass