Why become a member? ×

Making a template

JJW

[quote name='JJW' timestamp='1441715952' post='2861109']
Thanks for all the help but you're getting a bit technical for me, I don't understand all these computer programmes.
[/quote]

If your A4 copies are printing out the right size, tape them together and trace onto a single large sheet. There's your low-tech option :)

I wanted to do it from other specific guitar, i wanted to take a picture of a guitar I like and be able to make a template like the template in the picture (just the outline) I dont mind having them on mulitple sheets but they are now printing the correct size.

[quote name='JJW' timestamp='1441724290' post='2861224']
I wanted to do it from other specific guitar, i wanted to take a picture of a guitar I like and be able to make a template like the template in the picture (just the outline) I dont mind having them on mulitple sheets but they are now printing the correct size.
[/quote]

One issue you will probably encounter with taking a picture and then producing a template is the perspective distortion introduced by camera position relative to the object :(

[quote name='JJW' timestamp='1441724290' post='2861224']
[/quote]

Depends how much access to the guitar you do want you have. If it's easy to see, then take a picture square on from the front, including the twelfth fret. Get the scale length of the guitar so you know how big to enlarge your picture by and have it printed out on one sheet by a good print company as per previous posts, then trace it, also as previous posts.

[quote name='ColinB' timestamp='1441658991' post='2860729']
Why would you not want to stab the drummer?
[/quote]

Indeed, if you play on the drummer's right and play right handed, stab away. Unless you play on the drummer's left and are right handed ( me ), you can stab the gitwrist. Just as good a target, i reckon

[quote name='JJW' timestamp='1441745341' post='2861501']
I want to try the basic of getting a picture on my TV but my TV only does 300% zoom and that's not enough, do you have any suggestions?
[/quote]

Colour me confused. What are you trying to do on your tv? Trace the image off it? If so the chaces of getting it at the correct size are negligible

I think that in order to best help you we need to start all over again and to stop making assumptions.

So...

1. You have an image of a guitar/bass that you would like to turn into an actual size drawing presumably so that you can make one yourself?

2. Is it the image you posted at the beginning of this thread or something else?

3. If it is something else can you please post the actual image you want to use in this thread?

If we start from here then I'm sure we'll managed to sort your problem out.

Sorry I haven't made it very clear, hopefully I will do better this time:

I want to make several guitars, I have access to photos of them online. I want to be able to take the photo and create an outline like the one in the picture. That picture is an example of what I want the finished design to be like. I don't want to edit that photo in any way.

Thanks
Josh

How exact a copy do you want the guitar(s) to be, to the nearest 0.5mm, a few mm? Broadly right to within 5mm (obviously critical dimensions e.g. neck pockets must be spot on, but these will be done with router templates I am assuming)

Edited by 3below

The easiest way really is with a computer. If you can print the pictures you could possibly use a photocopier to zoom it to the right size, although even A3 is probably not going to be big enough to allow an accurate measurement of the scale - to get your zoom factor right