Why become a member? ×

SOLD: 1988 Ken Smith BT5 Custom Quilted Curly Maple (3 Knob Pre, black Headstock, Teardrop Case, Paperwork, Strap, 3 Sets Ken Smith Strings)
£2600

green

I have to put this beauty up for sale.
It’s a BT5 Custom from early 1988 with beautiful quilted curly maple top and back, mahogany core, 5 piece maple/mahogany neck with graphite carbon fiber inlaid on both sides of the truss rod.
It has the rare 2band preamp with 3 knobs and the black headstock.
Comes in its original teardrop case, with original Smith strap, Paperwork documenting the quality queck, delivery date and serial number, and [s]three new sets[/s] two new sets of Ken Smith strings (40-58-80-102-120) - I did restring the bass today, so the third set is on the bass. Man, it sounds great with fresh strings !
It’s the complete package, so to speak.

The bass sounds incredible and has very low action. It’s just a dream to play. Over the decades, it has seen some playing. The bass has quite some mojo, there are dings and dongs here and there, buckle rash and some wear a bass gets while being played for 27 years, but everything works fine of course.

Specs:
- quilted curly maple top and back
- mahogany core
- 5 piece maple / mahogany neck with carbon reinforcement
- ebony fingerboard
- 9V 2band preamp (3 knob layout)
- gold hardware
- including paperwork, original teardrop case, original strap, 3 sets of Ken Smith strings
- weight: only 4.0 kg / 8.9 lbs !!!

[size=5]The price I'm asking is £ 2600 or 3500 €. Picking the bass up in Germany is no problem either.[/size]
[size=5]By the way: no trades. Sorry for that.[/size]

If there are any questions or price quotes, just drop me a message.

Edited by green

let me tell you: i was never able to set the string action SO low on any instrument before! the strings are so low, they're virtually under the frets! ;-)

sounds amazing for finger funk, and tapping would be so easy (but i can't taphaha).
slapping feels great.light strings, low action, massive tone!

• 3 weeks later...