Why become a member? ×

Darkglass Vintage Deluxe and the Microtubes B7K

sumorabbit

Hi peeps, I'm wondering if any owners of these pedals could throw me some info please.

I mainly play in function bands but sometimes I do the odd originals thing for a while in which case the pedals are perfect. I'm after a DI pedal that doesn't scoop mids and can nail the warm vintage sound for the usual pop funk and soul covers. I saw a video on the old youtube using the B7K as a clean preamp/DI and it sounded really good. Can the vintage Deluxe do the fat warm almost clean DI role also?

Cheers doodz

Paul

If you intend to use it as a clean preamp, you would be better off getting the B7K due to its more sophisticated EQ controls. But, if you are looking for warm vintage drive then the Vintage would be a better option. I now run a Vintage Microtubes into a B7K and this combination covers most if not all drive tones I could imagine :)

From your description it sound like you definitely want the Vintage Deluxe. The B7K can be made to sound warm, but it's definitely more at home as a bright / scooped / cutting kinda sound, whereas the Vintage is just vintage warm loveliness.

Edited by dannybuoy

Is a trip to bass direct possible for you? I reckon you need to pay them a visit and have a play.

As said, the vintage deluxe is all about warmth but if it is a clean pre you want the B7K betters it, in my most humble opinion. The slightly cheaper option is buy a B3K or Vintage, as opposed to both preamps :)

Bass Direct prices are damn reasonable at the moment, try to use UK companies where you can, support the economy and all that, makes returns easy if needed too! :)

Nowhere is cheaper than BD to preorder the Darkglass comp at the moment.

Agree with previous thoughts - vintage tubes drive should be the thing you're looking for. However, having a feeling that b7k doesn't worth its price for just a clean signal shaping and after having both of them I would personally prefer taking non-deluxe version drive into other preamp.
You my also consider tech21 vt bass di version: vintage tone, decent drive, di-box, adds compression. it's does not sound as "trendy" as darkglass and eq is less useless, but i've found it better for generic live di tone.