Why become a member? ×

Uptown Funk - anyone nailed the tone?

Truckstop

[quote name='Dropzone' timestamp='1441293147' post='2857675']
Is this song going to be the new Mustang Sally / Sex on Fire? It truly is a great song, as are the others, but will it be played to death and am I asking this question too late ;-)
[/quote]
probably and err probably

The do do dos aren't directly connected to the bass, as BRX says, but for most of the song, the do do dos and the bass are hitting the same notes. Since the do do dos (starting to think that's a good band name) are more prominent in the mix at the lower end of the spectrum, it's entirely reasonable to listen to them to work out what to play. I'd forgive anyone for thinking that they were directly connect to the bass - that's how much it overshadows the bass.

I've done it with clean bass and with an octaver, depending on what I've got in front of me (we've been sneaking it in at weddings with the Motown band and I don't pack a pedalboard for those gigs), my scientific measurements suggest it makes no difference to the amount of punters dancing to it.

Vocals make this song, and if you collectively get your heads around both the doubling of the bassline and the various bits of verses (some lines are group vocal, some are call and response, and the pattern isn't the same in each verse) and nail that down it'll help with the dynamic of the song far more than worrying about the bass tone will!

Edited by mike257

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1441199101' post='2856855']
I can't believe that any decent musician doesn't have the ears to realise that the Do Do Do part is in no way connected to bass guitar
[/quote]

As far as I can tell, apart from the very start of the song, all the do do do bits are all doubled on bass, granted you need to be listening to it on system with a sub or maybe headphones to hear it since the bass behind the the do's is very deep and probably wouldnt be audible on bookshelf/small monitor/computer/tv speakers, can clearly hear in on the 200 watt shelf+sub system I have my computer hooked up to though B)

Tone wise the bass sounds like a single coil neck pick-up only so thats probably the best bet for someone looking to emulate it. As others have said deffo need a 5-er for this one.

Edited by bassman7755

• 3 weeks later...