Why become a member? ×

1986 Wal Fretless MK1 on Ebay

CamdenRob

I've had SO much helpful advice on that subject in the last week, Basschat at its finest.

Love the idea of that Kramer I spotted on eBay, but splashing £1000 on a bass I've never played, to be played in a style I've never used, in a band that has no suspicion as to what's on the horizon ... maybe not.

Watching eBay (UK) to see what surfaces, and I'll stroll down to Macaris a bit later and see what they have by way of Dean Rhapsody basses.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1443772868' post='2877511']
I've had SO much helpful advice on that subject in the last week, Basschat at its finest.

Love the idea of that Kramer I spotted on eBay, but splashing £1000 on a bass I've never played, to be played in a style I've never used, in a band that has no suspicion as to what's on the horizon ... maybe not.

Watching eBay (UK) to see what surfaces, and I'll stroll down to Macaris a bit later and see what they have by way of Dean Rhapsody basses.
[/quote]

Where's your sense of adventure young man :)

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1443719585' post='2877174']

I'm now selling everything I own to pay for it, and with perfect timing by DB has some potentially expensive issues also :rolleyes:
[/quote]When you say everything, I assume that doesn't include your original Wal ;)

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1443789119' post='2877706']
When you say everything, I assume that doesn't include your original Wal ;)
[/quote]

Ha ha, no, that really was the point, one with frets, one without. I don;t play retted often but once I got used to the Wal circuit (took a while), I found all other fretted basses a little lacking in tonal options. As it also took me a while to get used to the way the Wal balances and plays, and as my original fretless Wal was once fretted, the obvious choice seemed to be to get the original re-fretted and buy a new fretless. I knew exactly what I was looking for and up it popped in Seattle!

Now selling my other six basses (did I ever need six), to pay for it and my B-15 as an insurance for the possibility of needing a new DB, but very happy I've gone the path I have. Problem is that at present I have two Wal FLs, one with rounds and one with flats, and love both equally. Do you see where I'm going with this :)

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1443789853' post='2877717']
Ha ha, no, that really was the point, one with frets, one without. I don;t play retted often but once I got used to the Wal circuit (took a while), I found all other fretted basses a little lacking in tonal options. As it also took me a while to get used to the way the Wal balances and plays, and as my original fretless Wal was once fretted, the obvious choice seemed to be to get the original re-fretted and buy a new fretless. I knew exactly what I was looking for and up it popped in Seattle!

Now selling my other six basses (did I ever need six), to pay for it and my B-15 as an insurance for the possibility of needing a new DB, but very happy I've gone the path I have. Problem is that at present I have two Wal FLs, one with rounds and one with flats, and love both equally. Do you see where I'm going with this :)
[/quote]

How are you getting on with the one with flats?

When I got my fretless Mk1 it had nickles on it and sounded incredible... My default position with fretless is flats so I bought a set of la bellas (being my prefered option) and put them on. Only I found that I didn't like the tone anyway near as much as I did with the nickles, so I ended up putting them back on.

... Also in answer to your post above, you obviously need to keep both and source a fretted one :D