Why become a member? ×

Ashdown RM-800

Merton

http://ashdownmusic.com/products/1/Bass-Amplification/20/ROOTMASTER/130/RM800-/

I never used to be an Ashdown fan. Over 10 years ago I used an early MAG 4x10 cab which was a great first cab, but I moved on to other things and never really looked at them through my years of experimentation. The reasons for this were bad gig experiences where the “wooly Ashdown” misnomer was very much present, though looking back now I can attribute that to knackered cabinets at crappy venues rather than anything else. Additionally, by their own admission they have had some dalliances with Class D which haven’t been overly successful – for example the Superfly was a great amp when it worked, indeed perhaps marginally ahead of its time, but working was rare as (so the story goes) it was prone to becoming hot enough to fry eggs on. Then of course there were the Little Giant heads and the early MiBass amps, which just didn’t seem to catch on and certainly never caught my attention.
At the beginning of 2014 however everything changed. I bought a CTM100 from Gareth (walbassist) and fell in love. Later in the year I decided to get an ABM500, which was an incredibly good amp when paired with my Barefaced Super Compact cabinets. Then in late 2014 I saw pictures of a new head being launched at NAMM 2015, the Rootmaster 800. The RM range wasn’t new, indeed I’d been quite tempted by the RM420 head until I picked up the ABM, but this RM800 model had a lovely shiny chrome front and frankly I’m a sucker for things looking good. So as soon as the official launch fanfare had happened I placed an order direct with Mark and the Ashdown team…..

Gear used
ACG Finn 5 with single coil J pickups, Status Retroactive J, Barefaced Super Compacts, Ashdown RM110

Styles
Rock, pop, a little bit o’ soul

Main amp features
Gain
Switchable 5 band EQ
Pre-shape
One-knob compressor
Drive
Sub-harmonics
Line in with mix control
Master volume
Fx loop
Foot-switchable drive and sub-harmonics (footswitch not included)
Carry bag
730W RMS power output

Finish/build quality – 9/10
The RM800 is housed in a very stylish mild steel chassis with the Ashdown and Rootmaster logos printed on the top. The front panel has a very highly polished chrome plating which looks very classy indeed, though I expect my fingerprints will need to be fastidiously wiped from it after each gig much to the amusement of my bandmates.
All the control knobs feel very robust and have a good smooth but solid movement. One of the niggles I had with my old ABM head was the ease with which the knobs could be knocked, but on the RM Ashdown have got it spot on with much more precise and solid potentiometers. Top marks.
It is a relatively compact amp but big for what we’ve become used to for a Class D offering – think the Eden WT550 and you’re in the right ballpark. The weight isn’t substantial but despite that the unit feels very solid and well made, instead of light and likely to fall off your cabs with an inopportune pull on your instrument lead like some of the very small Class D amps out there. It certainly gives me the impression of a well thought out and well-built amplifier.
My only criticism is really incredibly minor but worth mentioning: the mains power switch is located under the IEC socket, which means once the IEC mains lead is in position it is a bit fiddly to get to the on/off switch from the front of the amp. It’s hardly an issue really but wonder if it could be positioned the other way round to make access a little easier?
I love the fact the RM800 is delivered with a carry bag, this helps to ensure it’s kept pristine when not sitting on my cabs actually being used, and makes taking it to gigs and rehearsals incredibly easy.

Tone – 9/10
This is Ashdown through and through, make no mistake. A lovely big warm sound from the off, even with everything set flat. The EQ is incredibly versatile and in my opinion is an excellent bridge between simple 3-band EQs and the more complex EQs with semi-parametric goings on etc. Here you have 5 really useable, sensible frequency bands with controls which all have a lot of cut and boost potential. Ashdown completely re-worked the old MAG preamp for the Rootmaster series and I think they’ve done a sterling job. This amp has the ability to dial in any tone quickly and easily through this 5 band EQ, and that’s before we’ve looked at the three additional rotary controls – compression, drive and sub-harmonics.
The compression is a mild distraction – I’ve played with it at home but not yet used it on a gig, so I can’t comment on it too much at this stage The drive, however, is sublime. Ashdown call it a valve-emulated drive and I can very much hear that in the overtones which come into play as the control moves clockwise from 0 to 100%. I’ve said it elsewhere and I will repeat it here, the drive on this amp reminds me of the drive control on the SansAmp Bass Driver DI. With the control at 0% you will get a perfect clean tone; edge the control to around 9 o’clock and a subtle edge to the sound appears; take it past 1 o’clock and you are in saturated valve-amp territory. It is glorious and a very well thought out circuit in my opinion.
That leaves the sub-harmonics circuit. Again Ashdown say this was redesigned for the RM heads and again what it brings to the party is very useable and sensibly voiced. Even with the control at its maximum setting the sub harmonic content is controlled, the lower octave doesn’t dominate the sound like some octave pedals allow. Instead what you get is a restrained but suitably “present” sub-octave tone which adds some lovely extra thickness to the tone without compromising on the main bass tone or creating a boominess.
I’d like to give it top marks really as I can’t fault the preamp because for me it does everything I want, however I’m knocking one mark off because the DI is quite hissy, which leads to the tone going to the FOH desk being crap. I always DI pre-backline so it’s not actually an issue for me but it may be an issue for someone else without the ability to run a separate DI. It's also worth noting the DI is post EQ only, there's no pre/post option nor is there a ground lift. One or both of those switches may well have sorted the hissiness I have experienced...

Power – 9/10
Although marketed as the “RM800”, the RMS power rating of this is actually 730W, not 800. I can’t say I really care. There is power in abundance, I have yet to explore the limits of the output capability but I suspect I’ll never get there. Being Class D with an SMPS there aren’t any huge transformers within the amp so you don’t get that valve amp “sag” (but I wouldn’t expect it) and I haven’t pushed it hard enough to get into that region of clipping we all know and don’t like with Class D units. For my needs I can see this having plenty to spare but wait for a louder gig later this year with baited breath! I’m only going for 9/10 because I don’t yet know how close to the limits I have strayed, so I will have to come back in a few months and edit this score.

Practicality – 8/10
Versatile, powerful, lightweight, line in functionality, comes with a bag… You almost can’t ask for any more. The one thing I’d have loved is a headphone output for home practice but frankly that’s what a volume control is for – just play more quietly :)
EDIT - just remembered something which perplexes me. The sub harmoniser has a rotary control on the front but no on/off switch - in other words to turn it "on" you have to rotate the control to your desired position, rather than have it preset and just flick a switch. The only way to make it switchable is to use a (non-supplied) foot switch. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me?
SECOND EDIT - the fan. It's on all the time and whilst it's not the loudest in the world it's also a bit noticeable at low home practice levels. Be aware of that if it's something which would bother you - it doesn't bother me. I think the twin fans on my ABM were louder and certainly the fan on my WT400 was able to create more wind ;)

Value – 9/10
RRP is £499.00. For a 700W amp designed in the UK and with these features I think that’s pretty good though of course there are plenty of other amps out there. Comparable units would be the Gallien Krueger MB800, TC RH750 or the Carvin B1000, all of which are around the same price point. Of course if you’re sneaky like me you buy it direct from Ashdown to get the direct price rather than the street price….

Overall – 9/10
So over the last 18 months I’ve become a massive Ashdown fanboi as I’ve realised quite what I’ve been missing with all amps I’ve used before these. I currently own the RM800, a CTM30 (which is the Little Bastard in grown up clothes) and (for the time being at least) a BTA200 which is stupendous. I love this amp, it does exactly what I want and what I need; frankly if I ever sell then something is wrong with me. There, I’ve said it. I am GAS free.

Until Ashdown bring out something even better.

Edited by Merton

Excellent thorough review Merton. Looking forward to seeing this (and the CTM30 I hope) at the SE Bass Bash.

Just thinking about the DI, I would have thought a ground lift would kill hum rather than hiss. Ashdown's specs don't say whether the DI out is isolated or not.

As it stands I could see the lack of pre/post and ground lift options annoying some sound engineers - if you got a hum loop you would have to isolate it with a DI box, which kind of defeats the object!

The CTM will definitely be at the SE Bash :)

With respect to the hiss, I have to confess this was my sound man's terminology - I didn't experience the noise myself. I think you're right though, if it was hiss rather than hum then it's just a gnarly DI as opposed to needing a ground lift. Either way it's a shame to not have the ore/post and ground lift options.

The power amp is less "saggy" and has more bite to it, if that makes sense? With that in mind it *feels* at least on a par. I can't see it running out of juice any sooner than the ABM at all, just be aware that you may need slightly more bass EQ'd in to compensate for the slight differences the power section brings :)

• 5 months later...

My RM-800 just happily survived a UK tour, being used twice each night by myself and the headlining band, so I think we can say that it's proven itself in the reliability stakes. :)

The only criticisms I can level at it are that it could do with a little more power - 1000W would be nice. Although, to be fair, I am using it to drive a Barefaced Big Twin II which can absorb a ridiculous amount of power.
And I'll second the non-switchable subharmonics criticism - it accidentally got turned up a couple of times on tour leading to a less-than-desirable tone.

• 3 weeks later...

I`ve just tried one of these out briefly at the London Bass Guitar Show. I like a twangy aggressive driven sound and this was easily achievable with this amp. That`s not to say it doesn`t have any grunt to it - it does, plenty in fact. I really liked it. If there were a matching preamp/DI pedal in this range I think I would be poorer in wallet, but richer in smiles.

Edited by Lozz196

Bought one of these to replace my poorly Mag 300 EVOII bassed quite alot on mertons review. It is everything he says too, rich warm with a nice bite. a nice improvement over the old mag stuff. and boy is it loud even just running it at 8ohm. You can really 'feel' this amp, no lack of 'heft'.
as for the no switchable octave i bought the FS-2 footswitch which get round this problem so the drive and sub harmonics become fully switchable and it works very well. Got a gig with it this saturday so i'll learn a bit more about it then.

[quote name='Russ' timestamp='1456244472' post='2986984']
My RM-800 just happily survived a UK tour, being used twice each night by myself and the headlining band, so I think we can say that it's proven itself in the reliability stakes. :)

The only criticisms I can level at it are that it could do with a little more power - 1000W would be nice. Although, to be fair, I am using it to drive a Barefaced Big Twin II which can absorb a ridiculous amount of power.
And I'll second the non-switchable subharmonics criticism - it accidentally got turned up a couple of times on tour leading to a less-than-desirable tone.
[/quote]

Interesting you want more power! I've still not peaked mine yet, it's perfect for my set up thankfully. Glad they've given the EVO head two Speakon connectors, that would be the one thing I'd like on mine TBH...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1460889435' post='3029510']
I heard the 500 in action last night, plenty of grunt, drive and twang. Sounded great in the mix which is the true measure of an amp.
[/quote]

Yep, it really does sit very well in the mix. A nice balanced tone with no nasty boom or harsh mids. I really do love it still :)

• 7 months later...

I just A/Bd this amp against my ABM1000 using the same bass , speaker & settings I would say the main differences are that the Valve drive on the ABM is more subtle & warmer naturally gets that Ampeg tone , & the ABM1000 can blow a Ampeg 8 x 10 to bits if required lol . My view is it's a great value amp very capable .

• 10 months later...
On 16/03/2016 at 21:50, Merton said:

Interesting you want more power! I've still not peaked mine yet, it's perfect for my set up thankfully. Glad they've given the EVO head two Speakon connectors, that would be the one thing I'd like on mine TBH...

I have the ABM 1000 & when I took the top off to put it into a wood sleave from rack , I could see that the space was packed ,this amp will blow your face off & you just wouldn't be able to get it into the RM case .