Why become a member? ×

NBD - Sire Marcus Miller 5 (Alder/Tobacco burst)!

Bigwan

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1439406213' post='2842613']
New toy arrived! Have literally just had seconds with it acoustically, but I have to say that from that I'm pretty impressed! Doesn't feel like a boat anchor either - I'd guess it's under 9.5lbs.
[/quote]

Mmm.

I've been toying with the idea of one of these on sale here on BC

What's it like now you've had a couple of hours ?

[quote name='Black Coffee' timestamp='1439413375' post='2842736']
Mmm.

I've been toying with the idea of one of these on sale here on BC

What's it like now you've had a couple of hours ?
[/quote]

Only really got an hour unplugged with it while Bakeoff was on last night! Very impressed so far! It's lighter than I expected - was prepared for a boat anchor going by some reviews, but it's closer to 9lbs than 10. It is a little neck heavy though so we'll have to see how it sits on a strap.

Talking about the neck it feels quite 'vintage' (not the brand) with the tight fingerboard radius - very strange going from your old ACG with no radius at all to this! The blocks and binding are really nicely done. I'm not 100% on the gloss finish on the back of the neck, but that's easily sorted if needs be.

The body seems to be 2 pieces of alder which aren't particularly well matched, but I didn't expect them to be for this money anyway! I've seen much bigger money instruments with the same problem.

You're welcome to call round for a spin on it Michael!

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1439414082' post='2842746']
Congratulations!

I hope you enjoy it.

Did one of your other basses sell then or did GAS take over? ;)

(I have a few of mine on gumtree now too, hoping for a local sale to save the trouble of packing and shipping.)

Frank.
[/quote]

Ordering this is what forced me to start a clearout Frank - I'm into double figures! There'll be a few more going up for sale once they've been fettled with a little. The P-bass sold and the ATK has had LOTS of interest. Not much for the ACG though so I might put it up on here. As with you, Gumtree saves the shipping woes! Saw your G&L Tribute on Gumtree too.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1439421494' post='2842832']
Pics please!!
[/quote]

All in good time! I'll hopefully get a chance to tweak the action a bit,try it through my PJB Headphone setup, weigh it and get a few pics tonight.

Edited by Bigwan

Apparently my weighing arm is off - 10lb 1oz on the scales... doesn't feel that heavy! Balance is excellent though, and the preamp does sound good - always wary of "standard" preamps, especially at this price! Photos to follow!

Congrats on the new bass. So we now have matching basses as well as cabs :-)

Mine is 9.10lbs and i do notice the difference between this and my Squiers. Not a big deal really but i have switched to other basses for a couple of gigs because i didnt feel like taking the "beast".

Fantastic basses though. Although i don't use my White/RW V7 5 string much at the moment (gone back to 4 string P) i do plan on getting a 4 string next year.

We've had quite a lot of similar gear over the years Dave - I used to own your old Lakland 55-01 too! I've been around here long enough to recognise that there are certain people with similar tastes to mine, and if they like something, there's a fair chance I'll like it too (WoT, discrete, Walbassist, you!). Being based, pardon the pun, in Northern Ireland means there's no chance (and I mean zero, nada, zilch) of trying out the majority of new gear people post on here without travelling to do it, and that's not always possible. Basing (again with the puns) buying decisions on other people's taste might seem risky, but it's worked out pretty well for me so far!

Unfortunately I haven't had much time with my V7 yet - been a mad few weeks round here - but so far I'm pretty impressed. I want to get rid of the blend control and convert it to 2 volumes but I'll get round to that somewhere along the way. Part of me wishes I'd ordered the 4 string V7, but that's a constant argument I have with myself...

Edited by Bigwan

Cool, i hope that 55-01 is still going strong.

Although i live in central London i dont drive or have a lot of free time, so i tend to shop online most of the time as well. So like you i have a few reference members i can turn to. Ive made a few big mistakes in the past though so im more cautious now.
Saying that the Sire seemed like a no brainer. I had just gone back to playing 5 string (going from a 4 string Jazz that i had just fallen in love with) but couldnt afford a decent jazz 5, so got a TRBX505. It was ok but i missed the Jazz tone. My only one real option seemed to be the Squier VM, but i wasnt too keen on the neck. When i saw Thomanns had the Sire, and had the 30 day money back guarantee i felt it was worth a go. The icing on the cake was the vintage style frets. One thnig i loved about Lakland necks.

I cant say i feel any need to upgrade any of the parts, i haven't even shimmed the neck like i do on all my basses (i just like to see the string parallel to the upper frets)

Ive gone off 5 string again (hence not wanting ot buy a higher end bass as i knew this would happen), but would love a 4 string V7 if and when i go back to playing Jazz bass. I'd also like to try the M3 bass as i did like the humbucker tone my TRBX505 had. Owning one of each may well be on the cards next year. I dont like having basses lying around un used but that these prices i dont mind one of each. Saves paying out again when the next GAS attack happens.