Why become a member? ×

Fender American Design Experience

Funky Dunky

It's my 40th next year and I fancy treating myself to something nice. Saw a pic of a Jazz bass in Silverburst last night and it looked simply gorgeous, and after a bit of digging I found out the only to get one is via the Fender ADE. Any basschatters have any experience or info on this? Is it worth the dough? Some people say the options are pretty limited but I'm not overly fussy about pickup spacing and the like - just want a J bass in Silverburst with blocks and binding, and this seems like the omly way to get one.

Alternatively, how much does it typically cost to get a bass resprayed?

[url="http://www.simscustom.com/html/00pricing.htm"]http://www.simscustom.com/html/00pricing.htm[/url]

Looking at the above, a metallic burst respray should be about £350 from these guys who have a very good reputation. Could well be a lot cheaper elsewhere.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1438456898' post='2834682']
Wow, that seems pricey to me. To put it in perspective that's more than either of my current basses cost!
[/quote]
Was thinking that a good s/h US fender plus respray would still work out cheaper than an ADE.

I have a buddy that got a fender guitar (Strat) via the ADE program for his 30th birthday. Its certainly a very nice guitar, but I would say that it was massively overpriced for what he got. I guess it is a case of how much of a fender fan are you? If you really love the brand, and you want something totally unique then perhaps it could be justified, but in the end you are going to be paying way over the odds for what you are getting. I don't recall the exact price he paid for his Strat, but it was well over £2000 for a guitar that was really nothing different from ones you could get for around £1200, at least in terms of quality etc.

Personally I would be inclined to perhaps investigate some other builders to see what they could do for you. It may be that the ADE bass is right for you but when you are talking about that kind of price, there are a lot of interesting things on the table and some of them might be very well worth looking at.

Out of interest, have you considered the Maruczszyk basses from Public Peace? I've only played one but it was really somethiing and the prices are fantastic for what they are. It might be worth emailing Adrien ([email protected]) and asking if he is able to do you one with that kind of paint scheme. I know they are very happy to do most modifications etc so you could well be in luck, and with them you are pretty much able to ask for any other custom options that take your fancy which could be a nice bonus.

Anyhow, best of luck with the bass!

James

Edited by Naetharu

Thanks for posting, that's given me serious food for thought. I read about the Maruczszyk basses a few weeks back and they look fantastic. I had read elsewhere that someone had paid around $1600 for their ADE bass (around £1200) and I thought that was alright for a part custom Fender USA Jazzer, but if it's going to be nearer $2000 to import it, sack that!

I will look more into Maruczszyk though, looks more like my budget.

Edited by Funky Dunky

I'm sure Maruszczyk can do you exactly what you want, probably for significantly less money.

[url="https://www.facebook.com/MARUSZCZYKINSTRUMENTS/photos/a.10150116450572396.285289.292530792395/10152746914187396/?type=1&permPage=1"]Here's one of their less traditional Jazzes with a figured top[/url], but I'm sure they can do a more standard 4-string J shape too.