Why become a member? ×

Squier Jazz weights conundrum

sprocketflup

Ive heard it said (in hushed tones) that a natural finish Squier jazz will weigh more than its equivalent brethren in a painted finish. Does anyone happen to know if this is true?

I ask about Squiers as opposed to 'genuine' fenders as its probably the Squier I will be looking to purchase.

TIA

It might be to do with the body wood used, I see they employ soft maple, alder, agathis and basswood depending on the actual model - have a look at the Fender site [url="http://intl.fender.com/en-GB/squier/basses/jazz-bass/"]http://intl.fender.c...sses/jazz-bass/[/url] which I've checked for three different models with solid coloured, sunburst and natural finishes and they were consistent body woods within the range (though there might have been a time when they used say maple for clear finish and basswood for solid colours within the same range).

Edited by HowieBass

Earlier this month I bought a Squier 77 Jazz and deliberately chose the black finish, as both it and the sunburst versions are made from Agathis, which was much lighter than the natural version made from soft maple.
However, when I unboxed my virgin new bass & went to pull it up out if the box, it was heavy. Just as heavy as my CV 50s pine bass. In fact it was 4.8 kgs / 10.5 lbs, so not very light at all. I called Andertons & swapped it the next day for exactly the same model & colour of bass that weighs just 3.4kgs / 7.5lbs. I still can't believe that the same wood can vary in weight that much, thats a 1.4kg / 3lb difference, it must be 'swamp' agathis!
Guess the moral of the story is every piece of wood is different, you just have to pick it up & try it out.

Edited by kristinaelias

[quote name='kristinaelias' timestamp='1438301689' post='2833468']
Guess the moral of the story is every piece of wood is different, you just have to pick it up & try it out.
[/quote]

Very much so. 70s Fenders are reputed to be boat anchors and I'm sure some of them are. But mine is 8.5lbs.
Are 'Jazz weights' anything like 'clockweights'? I think we should be told.

Yes, it is true for both Squiers and Fenders. But I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the heavier ones - IME very lightweight Fenders/Squiers can suffer from terrible neck dive. And if I had a choice between a sub 9lb bass with neck dive and a 10lb bass with perfect balance I'd take the 10 pounder every time. Having to hold the neck up with your fretting hand is an ergonomic disaster, and is just as likely to lead to back problems as wearing a boat anchor every night.

[quote name='sprocketflup' timestamp='1438343845' post='2833722']
So its a case of try before you buy then I guess. Might be a bit tricky as ill most likely be ordering from Thomann lol
[/quote]

If I were you I would email them and ask for a lighter bass - from my experience their customer service is very good and chances are they can check the weights (at least from comparative feel) before sending one out to you. I'd certainly give it a go.