Why become a member? ×

Sound check. What do you play?

NoRhino

Exactly what my signature say "Hit the fat string...lots."

My theory being that that will be the 'biggest / loudest / hardest' note I play all night - so thats waht I check with...open fat string.

I don't noodle furiously or double-hand tap or anything fancy during a set, so its counter-productive to soundcheck with it. Give the sound guy a chance!

Strictly what we have been discussing is a 'line check' i.e. to make sure there is a usable level of signal coming from each instrument, and to set the appropriate input gain at the mixing desk.

'Sound check' is where the whole band plays at once so that the masters can be set to give a good overall balance.

I'll do 8's around the B on the A string. I'll put octaves in there so he can hear a spread of notes. I'll offer up a low B....and then I'll do some
high end stuff..all to give him an idea of what I am probably going to throw it so he can balance the bass. I'll drop a few slap fills in so he can
be aware on any spikes as I'm not compressed.

I'll try and point him in the direction where he should know what he needs to cope with... with examples of hi and lows and a few fills
and steer him away from the subbie underpinning sound that is not much good for anything else.

I might play a lot of notes all over and he needs to be prepared for that

I usually turn everything right down so it can only just be heard and play 2 notes.
When he (and it usually is) moves onto the next instrument I turn everything back up again.
That way I know the bass level will be about right once we start playing.
Or at least I'm often very tempted to do that!

I just go up chromatically from my lowest node, going back to any that seem to "boom" in the venue. If you don't catch them at this point, there is little chance of them being sorted out once the whole band is playing.

The trick in the previous post is what all guitarists do at every soundcheck ;-)