Why become a member? ×

Thoughts on small amps for gigs

bassbora

[quote name='bassbora' timestamp='1438331368' post='2833554']
Thanks guys. I think I might look for a small cab but use the Streamliner. No point getting more gear when both I don't want to and don't need to. I am one for keeping it simple.
[/quote]
Now there's a contradiction in terms!!! But we know what you mean!

Thanks for all your points and suggestions. I just wanted to explain why I was asking the question. I have always been more into playing the music instead of getting the gear. I have been playing now for 25 years and in that time I have in total owned 7 bass guitars (I have 3) and that includes a beginner model and moving from 4 to 5 strings so I have always stuck to my choices and been really happy with them. In those 25 years I have only had 3 amps (the Fender I mentioned was even a freebee) and I still have 2 of these.

So for me to look for gear is a bit of a novelty. The reason I started to think of another amp/cab was volume and space. At last few gigs I have been sitting on the amp to save space. So I was just wondering what other people do switching between louder gigs to smaller low volume gigs. I don't really want to have few cabs and amps but it is handy when you have different type of gigs to be able to bring the right gear to it.

When I bought the Streamliner Berg combination I only had one project on the go and I went for the 212 to save space for storing it but to have always enough volume. I had been playing through a borrowed Hartke rig which was 410 and 115 two cab combo and I did not really have space to store that. I thought about getting 2 112 but that was more expensive at the time and it felt a bit of a waste of money. But after hearing what few of you do I can get a small cab but use my current amp. No point getting another amp if the current one will do the job. I had been thinking it might be too big but you guys have convinced me that will not be the case.

Edited by bassbora

I think you have made the right choice. You could get better but as already stated the overall footprint probably wont change enough to make a difference (assuming you have the 2x12 cab on its side)
You could get a 1x10 cab which would save a bit of space and might work well at very small or quiet gigs, but then thats one more thing to store.

We used to do a few very small gigs but we just had to make do. One thing i started doing was to put my rig (also a 2x12) next to the drummer (not the kit, the drummer himself). This is normally empty space and did help with space on stage. Not idea for him as it was very close to his hi hat but it worked ok.

[quote name='bassbora' timestamp='1438672177' post='2836196']But after hearing what few of you do I can get a small cab but use my current amp. No point getting another amp if the current one will do the job. I had been thinking it might be too big but you guys have convinced me that will not be the case.
[/quote]

I've been playing for 35 years and am on my third bass, and third & fourth amps, so I'm more conservative still!

If you're happy to keep transporting the 2x10 cab, then it'll likely still give you the best sound, even turned down. A smaller cab - will make life more portable, but be more to store at home and, while sounding great, will still never have as good a sound.

Phil Jones Bass Double Four.

Probably as small as you'll get.

I use mine playing for various 4 and 5 piece jazz bands, and also for my own solo bass stuff. It easily handles small gigs.

It's about the size of a shoe box, but don't let the diminutive size put you off, it still sounds like a bass amp.

:)

I had a gig with that band last night. All is fine and the footprint of the Fender amp is tiny. I am loud enough kind of but there are six of us and might be more on some occasion so space is important. Also I noticed last night that the amp is picking up mobile signal or what ever it is so there is a little buzz happening every so often. So might need a new cab after all.

But what to get and how big? I have always known what I want/need/like from a bass and I know for a fact I will never buy one again but I just cant get excited about amps and cabs.

[quote name='bassbora' timestamp='1438769119' post='2836993']
But what to get and how big? I have always known what I want/need/like from a bass and I know for a fact I will never buy one again but I just cant get excited about amps and cabs.
[/quote]

Ive been exactly the same. For me the rig is just something that sits at the back of the stage and makes sure i get heard. Ive gone through a few heads and cabs over the years but never really had a "wow" moment with any of them. Some have been a disappointment, and they have been short lived, but other than that if its functional then it stays.

Might be worth looking at the BF range, they get a lot of love around here. I have just got a Barefaced Retro two 10 cab, and although ive yet to gig it it does seem like a very nice, small cab. Not the smallest as its a 2x10, but its not big either. Its very light and the footprint is smaller even than my 1212L. Low end seems to be there with loads to spare, and although it doesn't have a tweeter or horn it has a nice smooth top end, Its been designed for a more retro tone, which is exactly the type of music we play.