Why become a member? ×

SOLD Trace Elliot SM250GP7 - £120
£130

RandomBass

This is my trusty SM250. A very potent 250watts into 4 Ohms, the Trace GP7 pre-amp and solid build quality. I think this is from the mid-90s, and everything works as it should.

A couple of the square plastic push-button caps are missing but the switches work fine.

I'm based near Brighton for collection.

Cheers

Geoff

Edited by RandomBass

I'm looking for a 500w head. As I don't know my watts from my ohms but read somewhere that doubling the wattage only raises the volume a knatts whisker would this be loud enough for a biggish gig ie. More than the average pub gig but smaller than the Albert Hall?

[quote name='6feet7' timestamp='1442991709' post='2871112']
I'm looking for a 500w head. As I don't know my watts from my ohms but read somewhere that doubling the wattage only raises the volume a knatts whisker would this be loud enough for a biggish gig ie. More than the average pub gig but smaller than the Albert Hall?
[/quote]
Yes I think it would be fine. The main thing to consider is what cabs you will be using it with. I'm usually using a single 15 which easily does pubs and clubs. Add a second cab and you will fill much larger places. Probably not the Albert Hall, though lol.
A 4x10 or 2x12 would more than likely suffice for all your needs.

Edited by RandomBass

I've used Trace stuff for 20 years now, I think you'd be fine with this for medium sized gigs, especially if you add a second cab. With two cabs you're getting the full benefit of the 250 watts (into 4 ohms) and don't forget, these are Trace watts. These older British made models were always underrated watts wise ;-)

[quote name='Bobby K' timestamp='1443010553' post='2871397']
I've used Trace stuff for 20 years now, I think you'd be fine with this for medium sized gigs, especially if you add a second cab. With two cabs you're getting the full benefit of the 250 watts (into 4 ohms) and don't forget, these are Trace watts. These older British made models were always underrated watts wise ;-)
[/quote]

+1

I've never, ever had mine past 10 o'clock so unless you're playing absolutely vast venues without going through a PA, a 250watt Trace would be more than ample.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1443030629' post='2871698']
PMd re dimensions.
[/quote]

And replied. For the benefit of others, the actual amp unit (not including the outer wooden housing) is a standard 2U rack height and width, with a front-to-back dimension of 26cm. It doesn't come with rack ears though.