Why become a member? ×

Recording a cover version

alembic1989

hi,
I am in the process of recording my next CD offering to the world and for the first time I am doing a tune (instrumental) based on 2 different tunes 'melded' together. Trouble is I don't know the procedure for 'declaring' that I am doing this, and also how to get permission from the relevant people. Can any body help out here??
Many Thanks

[quote name='joe_bass' post='272524' date='Aug 29 2008, 01:11 PM']If it's pretty much amateur then don't you just need to declare who wrote what?[/quote]

It's going to be 'released' and I'm going to try and airplay and internet sales and maybe some distribution...but it's going to be on my own label.....What now ???

no joe_bass, because if anyone plays his work (presumably fairly obviously derived from the two originals) then the owners are entitled to payment for use or performance of their intellectual property. If he only played his work at home (ie not in public, no audience) then he doesnt need permission because you get rights to do that when you buy the recording.

Definitely get advice from the PRS or MCPS before proceeding.

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='Geek99' post='272549' date='Aug 29 2008, 01:41 PM']no joe_bass, because if anyone plays his work (presumably fairly obviously derived from the two originals) then the owners are entitled to payment for use or performance of their intellectual property. If he only played his work at home (ie not in public, no audience) then he doesnt need permission because you get rights to do that when you buy the recording.[/quote]

Ohh fair play.

I'm not going to be specific to protect myself, but I think I am guilty of making money from someone else's song. Less than £100 in total, and no air play. The actual writer and/or their manager wont reply to any correspondence so we just went ahead. We're not collecting any royalties from it so..... I fail to see how I am going to get screwed for it.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='272570' date='Aug 29 2008, 02:13 PM']We have put a Propagandhi cover as a "secret" song on our album we give them credit but no money.

If they tried to sue us as a Punk band it would be so bad for their reputation it wouldn't be worth it.

Not really helping but it's Friday :)[/quote]

The thing is .. as a small (just me) label I am only going to get 500-1000 pressed up...and if I'm honest it will take years to sell all of them IF i ever do..so it's pretty small potatoes.

[quote name='johnnylager' post='272573' date='Aug 29 2008, 02:17 PM']Long week for a short week, this one.[/quote]

Spot on. Came in expecting good old quiet Friday paper work day but because of the bank holiday that's been written off!! :)

Alembic you're not doing anything Metallica related are you? :huh:

Edited by joe_bass

[quote name='alembic1989' post='272575' date='Aug 29 2008, 02:19 PM']The thing is .. as a small (just me) label I am only going to get 500-1000 pressed up...and if I'm honest it will take years to sell all of them IF i ever do..so it's pretty small potatoes.[/quote]

Fair comment - but still worth talking to MCPS - particularly if you expect the cover track to get airplay the radio station will log the play so that the appropriate royalties are paid to the writer(s).

If it still works like it used to (15 years ago!) the licence cost will be based on the running time of the other artists song versus the total running time of the release.

And you'll be able to ringfence a proprtion of the copies (appropriately marked, as 'promo' copies) to be given away that you won't have to pay licence costs for.

And if it's your tracks that are likely to get airplay talk to PRS about joining them and registering your tracks with them so you get royalties back for their airplay. (And the day every three months when your PRS cheque comes through is and continues to be truely exciting!)

MCPS and PRS will be happy to help you with this.

David

Edited by Funkmaster

[quote name='alembic1989' post='272575' date='Aug 29 2008, 02:19 PM']The thing is .. as a small (just me) label I am only going to get 500-1000 pressed up...and if I'm honest it will take years to sell all of them IF i ever do..so it's pretty small potatoes.[/quote]

Yeh we just pressed a hundred so I doubt anyone will care if they do they can f*ck off.

+1 to getting in touch with MCPS.

I'd imagine this is going to be classed as a derivative work, but the fact that you're going to change substantially change both songs probably means you'd need to contact the publishers for permission. You'd then have to go back to MPCS for the permission to press them up (pressing plants need the paperwork before they can press anything up.)