Why become a member? ×

Help with the Herts Bass Bash video footage

Silvia Bluejay

At the bash last Sunday we used Happy Jack's Zoom device to video Andrew Needham of D'Addario's talk and Q&A session - we now have that entire talk on individual files (the original huge MOV and a smaller MP4 I converted the MOV into) lasting around 33 minutes.
We also recorded the entire Fretboard Challenge with the fixed Zoom (resulting in a file lasting approx 13 minutes) and some minutes of each test separately with my camera, which panned, tilted, zoomed in and out, and often showed the audience interacting with Lozz.

We would now need the help of someone with equipment and skills to do the following:

1. Raise the volume of the audio in Adrew's talk. Although clear and mostly fine in my headphones, I have been told it is too quiet when watched on other devices. I have a very basic program that offers a sort of gain control, but when I used it while converting to MP4, it had absolutely no effect, so we need someone with much better equipment who knows what to do.

2. (This is probably not possible, but I'll mention it anyway.) Correct the white balance in Andrew's talk - due to the harsh lighting directed to the stage, Andrew's face often appears far too bright.

3. Mix our two kinds of footage of the Fretboard Challenge into a more entertaining video, using the fixed camera output as the base and adding in a few frames from the other camera at the correct points in the recording.

I have .MOV and .MP4 files and a good ADSL line, so I can dropbox the files to any good soul who might volunteer their help :)

Thank you on behalf of the whole Herts Bash team!

Silvia

I could do this if I didn't have a huge big mound of work that finishes on Wednesday.

I can import the video into ProTools, and do whatever to the audio. Master it using waves plugins or Ozone Izotope 6 whatever latest version we have here.

If I import the footage into software such as Adobe Premiere, I can easily adjust the white balance. However, I'm not a video person so would need to know what to adjust the white balance to. Do you have an exact calculated white balance you wish to achieve, or are you happy if I jiggle the controls until it looks halfway sensible:?

This will be after Wednesday next week, if you want me to do it. It would be easiest if you provided the video as a weshare link.

Hmmm.... I've got Premiere and ProTools on my computer. If you put it up sooner, I might be able to have a quick go at it in the weekend. If you want this to happen, please tell me so that I take my ProTools dongle home with me. Otherwise I'd use Logic Pro X or something.

Edited by Annoying Twit

That would be really great! Whichever program is less hassle for you to use, we aren't fussy. I'm not sure about the white balance value, I'd be happy for you to tweak it - if possible - in whichever way you may see fit. I'm off to look up weshare to see what it is... :)

Thanks a million :)

I've found wetransfer, which I've used in the past. Is that what you meant? If it is, from my previous experience, uploading anything bigger than a few MB only works in the morning, so I'll do it early tomorrow morning if you PM me your email address. Also, which file(s) would you like to have, the MOV or the MP4, or both?

Ta :)

[URL=http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/FairfaxAikman/media/b2ee6c8c-ebf7-4b57-a264-80676e02067c_zps48bf0095.png.html][IMG]http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q639/FairfaxAikman/b2ee6c8c-ebf7-4b57-a264-80676e02067c_zps48bf0095.png[/IMG][/URL]

I'm downloading the file now. I won't be able to do anything about it until the weekend.

EDIT: I have the video. The talking is quite quiet compared to the bass playing. Normally, I'd put that through a compressor to even them out a bit. However, given that the point of this video is to compare the sounds of different basses, using a compressor may be a bad idea. I'll put a limiter on at whatever peak limit you want, but will try and make sure that the natural level is such that the limiter doesn't appreciably change the tone colour of the basses.

I could set the audio level to be reasonable for the bass playing, and then use mixdown automation to bring up the speech a bit. It depends on how even you want the sound.

Given the informal nature of the video and the fairly clean soundtrack I don't think I need to apply any gating to get rid of background noise.

What target level would you like the video to hit? Often videos are set to peak at near to digital full scale? Usually for that I'll go for -3dBFS to leave a bit of headroom. If it was to be submitted for broadcast, standards are very different, e.g. -18dBFS. I should be able to normalise either on peak or loudness levels. BTW: If you are going to upload to youtube, I believe that youtube automatically does loudness normalisation, though I have only heard this second hand, I haven't checked it myself.

EDIT: I've played through the video. The volumes of the basses are inconsistent. As far as I can see, given that I don't want to compress which will change the sound quality of the basses (even with very long release times), the best option is simply to automate the volume of the lot, so that all basses peak at (say) -3dB. If you want a different peak level, then I can adjust at the output stage. As I presume

Visually the skin tones especially look a bit saturated. With no offence intended to anyone, it would have looked visually better had the bassist not been quite so pasty white (I'm no better). White balance, as well as standard brightness, contrast, and saturation I can adjust. Oversaturated regions can't be fixed.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1434696826' post='2801849']
Your camera footage is quite wobbly. I can put in some cutaways to that footage, but I think that even image stabilisation plugins won't be able to remove the camera movement.
[/quote]

Some cutaways are all we need, Ross - I intentionally didn't worry about camera shake, knowing that the main video was going to be from the fixed camera. Don't waste too much time on that, And thanks again. :)

• 2 weeks later...