Why become a member? ×

What amp to go with my barefaced?

kevvo66

I am using my trusted Ashdown ABM500EVO3 UK and/or MarkBass LM2 / TA503 with my two BigBaby2 cabs.

Ashdown for a typical rock sound
TA503 for a cleaner sound
Lm2 with a single BB2 for semi-acoustic gigs (with a flatwounded P and a nylon stringed Reverend RL5)

On the whole, everyone is going to recommend their own amps - and so they should if they are happy with them. As to what you would be happy with... that's for you to decide - but some description of what you DO like would help people who have tried lots of amps point you in the right direction.

I also had a Genz Benz Shuttle when I got my Barefaced cab, it wasn't for me so I sold it and got something else, but it was a good place to start as it was perfectly servicable amp - after I posted on here for some recommendations, with a description of what, for me, was lacking from the Shuttle I got some really helpful advice :)

I play from 50,s upto modern rock and pop with my band I also play 5 string yamaha Bb-605 as my main bass and couple of 4 stringer these days , but dabble in Jazz and indie at home and reggae

Edited by kevvo66

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1434058106' post='2796417']
Good call - I think I read somewhere that the GB Streamliner is the amp Barefaced use to test their cabs. If so, gotta be a good pairing.
[/quote]

Not sure that's true, but I could believe it. I use my BigBaby2 with the Streamliner 900 a lot. Great combination.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1434155503' post='2797277']Yeah, got it wrong, Alex commented earlier. Dunno where I dreamed that up, was sure I read it somewhere.[/quote]

In the very early days of Barefaced we got a Shuttle 6.0 for two reasons:

1. I really liked how it sounded with the Compact and wanted a tiny amp of my own
2. One of the first Big Ones was causing a customer's Shuttle to do crazy things and we couldn't work out why without buying one (turns out that the icePower class D output stage doesn't like highly capacitative loads - we added a resistor to the crossover to damp the oscillation which was resulting and all was good).

We still have it here because it's a useful reference point, especially as most bassists don't have 3000W of clean power in their rig, so we can use its power stage with other preamps as well as going through its own preamp.