Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton Fretted Ukele Bass .

yorks5stringer

Here's the blurb from Thomann to start:

"Harley Benton Kahuna CLU-Bass Ukulele Custom Line Kahuna Series Uke-Bass, Traveller-sized, spruce top, mahogany body, carved back, mahogany neck, C-shape, rosewood fingerboard, DOT-inlays, 20 frets, scale 534 mm, nut width 42,0 mm, rosewood bridge, black open gear tuners, B-Band u1.5T preamp."

When buying a Deco from Thomann one's heart is always in one's mouth when unwrapping it as you know it will have some faults but thankfully apart from 2 tiny dints the only cosmetic faults are very minor and many less anal than me would not even notice them in a new instrument! There are 2 book-matched knots on the Spruce Top directly opposite the sound hole but you are not going to get AAAAA tops on an instrument of this price.

Further point on the construction is that looking very carefully it appears to have a scarf joint on the headstock which is actually one piece of Mahogany for the neck with the headstock end cut off at an angle and re-attached the other way round (if this means nothing to you, like a Gibson headstock).

The Tuners are like mini open geared Hipshots and pull on white rubbery strings, the E is 0.5 cm thick ! Getting into tune is a bit weird as the strings just stretch but eventually hit pitch which can be checked by the built in Tuner.

The B-Band preamp is linked not to a cheap piezo but a " very special world-wide patented material that is very different from and has nothing to do with piezo electric films, transducers or pickups". Apparently these give you a more natural sound without the plasticky tone of a piezo.

Right, how does it play and sound? I have big fingers and care has to be taken to fret correctly and accurately: there is a buzz around 5th fret I need to sort out, I think the slot has been filed a little low and needless to say there is no adjustment at the Rosewood Bridge! It comes with a Truss Rod key so I may take some relief out and see what happens.
For playing it, some have suggested using talc on the hands which I have tried and certainly it smells nice.

Solo it does sound quite full and double Bassy but I have yet to play it with others and see how it sits in the mix and also see how it copes with the dreaded Feedback ("Oi mate your little bass sounds sh*t)!

I ordered a 1/2 size guitar case with it as well for an extra £6 so for £56 in total I have something to play at acoustic jams albeit stealthily plugged into my MarkBass Micromark 801. It will be quite fun turning up with what looks like a half sized Guitar in a case and a tiny square box and getting a decent Bass sound.

Edited by yorks5stringer

Glad you're enjoying the uke,I find mine gets plenty of noodling use.

It's just such a handy size to keep next to me but the talc can get messy.
Do puncture repair kits still have talc or chalk ? Might be a source of unscented talc.

Totally agree with you,they do sound double bassy. I got quite a surprise.

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1433893161' post='2794962']
Glad you're enjoying the uke,I find mine gets plenty of noodling use.

It's just such a handy size to keep next to me but the talc can get messy.
Do puncture repair kits still have talc or chalk ? Might be a source of unscented talc.

Totally agree with you,they do sound double bassy. I got quite a surprise.
[/quote]

They do medicinal talc (i.e. unscented) in chemists. Not had to use it on my Uke but I have not had much chance to use it yet.

On my Ashbory, which has rubber-band strings, I find that adopting a violinesque left hand position with the fingers pointing more along than across the unfretboard works better than the orthodox straight-across bass finger position.

To be honest I put the scented talc comment in for comedic effect..(who would have thought that from me?) Simple as in Simple Soap do an unscented talc which we have some of at home and I used that. I have a little phial of it I wear around my neck ...stop, I'm off on one again. I did think that if I was stopped by the OB they could be interested in a small tin of talc...!