Why become a member? ×

Lord Haig in Hertford, anyone played there recently?

Mudpup

We're booked to play the above venue in a few weeks and we just received a text from them asking if we can do a lighter sounding set as they have just looked at our Lemonrock site and think we may be a bit 'heavy'.

And they have a noise limiter........

Now, we're not heavy in my view and its easy enough to do a poppier set to suit them without any problem. Its the noise limiter that bothers me. We have played venues with them before and the singer has triggered them on his own!

Does anyone have any experience of how the one at this venue is set? Can a rock band play there or is it best suited to quiet pop covers bands?

Played there a couple of times in the last year. The limiter is set slightly off centre so you can angle the pa away from it and it doesn't seem too sensitive. I set it off the first time but cutting the bass a bit solved that and second time we didn't have a problem. We're a fairly quiet four piece but we could have turned up a bit and still had some headroom. There's a fairly regular crowd there and they do like the standards so that could be another reason for the request. And don't be surprised when the place empties at about 11:30 as everyone goes to a bar around the corner!

As Grangur said, I play there. It''s one of our regular gigs.

On the plus side: the crowd enjoy their music and are always up for a dance. The owners and staff are great. The load in isn't too bad, pull up outside. Plenty of parking in the surrounding back streets.

Downside: Is the bloody limiter :(
It is a distraction and it's all to easy to spend the night watching it. we have found that it is particularly sensitive to the G spot :blink: . Something I have found that seems to help, is when playing on the G, not letting the note swell works well. I tend to play in a much more syncopated fashion in the Haig.
Last time we were there, the limiter did its thing just as we hit the chorus on Plug in Baby.

I tend to roll the bass and mids off and keep the volume down.

Another thing to be aware of is, that the ladies have to walk through the band playing area to get to the loos. You need to stay aware of your surroundings, otherwise there is the real risk of headstock/ladies face encounters.

[quote name='NoRhino' timestamp='1433457676' post='2791335']
Take an extension reel, find another socket and override the damn thing. I've seen the chatter of an audience and clinking glasses set linters off. Edinburgh PO Club and Cumbernauld Town Hall are two of the worst.
[/quote]

You will not be able to do that at this venue.
The limiter is there because of noise complaints and they are monitored by the council, or whoever.

The limiters are a pain but it's just another one of the challenges of the pub/club scene.

Hope it goes well.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, that worked out ok in the end......

As Gary Mac said above, great crowd up and dancing from the first song, owners brilliant and supportive and no problems with the limiter. We kept the volume down on the bass, angled the PA away from the limiter and soundchecked a song that has loads of "G" in it.

I dont understand how a particular note can push the limiter but the drummer going ape with double bass drum endings doesnt?????? We were watching the meter and it seemed purely G on the bass that could have been a potential issue.

We had a great night, loads of friendly punters having a chat afterwards and plenty of rebooks for next year out of it - they wanted us back this year but our diary is full.

Thanks for all the useful info chaps...