Why become a member? ×

Quick question about a stack.

ioanggg

I'm looking to buy a stack that consists of a 2x10 on top of a 1x15.

My 1x15 will be a Kustom DE115H

[size=2][i]Kustom DE115H, Bass Cabinet, 250 Watt, 1x15" Deep End Speaker, 8 Ohm, 3" Hochfrequenz-Piezo-Horn , 1/4 Jack thomann and Speakon[/i][/size]

My 2x10 will be a Kustom DE210H

[size=2][i]Kustom Deep End 210H, bass box, 200 watt, 2x 10" speaker, 8 ohm, high frequency piezo tweeter[/i][/size]

Now, I was wondering if the following amp, Ashdown Toneman 300W Evo III, while having 2 outputs, would be able to run one of these cabinets by itself as well as the whole stack together, due to the change in impedance from 4ohm to 8ohm.

Thanks in advance.

Both cabs connected will present an impedance of 4 ohms to the head, enabling it to potentially deliver the full 330w. Either cab alone will present 8 ohms, so the maximum power delivered would be somewhere in the region of 200w. Either case is OK for that head.
Hope this helps.

I too would like to ask here if I may.

If the OP's amp power is greater than that of the cabs, is there any danger that the amp, if on full volume, could cause damage to the speakers?

Also does this situation get better/worse if only 1 cab is connected?

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1433256621' post='2789471']
I too would like to ask here if I may.

If the OP's amp power is greater than that of the cabs, is there any danger that the amp, if on full volume, could cause damage to the speakers?

Also does this situation get better/worse if only 1 cab is connected?
[/quote]

I don't think that it's as straightforward as matching up the numbers on the amps and cabs. That amp is actually 300w RMS and 500 peak. Even then, the 300w RMS can't be directly compared to the wattage limit on the cabs, as they are thermal limits, rather than RMS.

Basically that pairing should be fine, but as with all pairings, it's best to use ones ears to listen out for warning signs (speaker distortion), rather than just trusting numbers.

Regarding the difference when only connecting one cab, as Dad says above there will be fewer watts to handle with a single eight ohm cab, but it's still best to listen out to make sure the driver isn't being stressed out too much.

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1433257114' post='2789478']
Why 2 different cabs?
[/quote]Probably because he thinks that the 1x15 will give better lows and the 2x10 better highs. Sometimes that's true, but only sometimes, and even if there's a difference it's usually slight. I'd do two vertically stacked 2x10s myself.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1433259268' post='2789502']
Probably because he thinks that the 1x15 will give better lows and the 2x10 better highs.
[/quote]

To be fair, there is a reason that adding a 2x10 cab to a 15 will often give you more top end although it is nothing to do with the size of the cones or even the construction of the cabinet - in a lot of speaker ranges (the Kustom Deep End range included) the cabs with 10s routinely include horns or tweeters but the cabs with 15s often do not.

Edited by Painy

• 2 weeks later...

No problem in theory, however...
As Bill has hinted at above, I also don't recommend mixing cabs up lke this these days.
Aside from the obvious problem of the two cabs sounding different (how do you eq both with one amp?), the amount of work/load per driver is not evenly balanced. each 10" driver doing 1/4 of the work and the 15" driver doing 1/2 all on its own.
I'd also recommend 2 of the 2x10" - which should be more than enough power handling for the Ashdown, plus, on smaller gigs you'll only need the one.