Why become a member? ×

Hartke Strings

kevbass

Hello ladies and gents, I should be recieving that OLP with the sterling pup in the post tommorow, so I want to throw on some new strings and I'd like to try something new, I always go with ernie ball slinkys or D'addario but I fancy a change. I am on a bit of a budget so as much as I'd like to try some DR blacks or Elites I cant afford them right now. Hartke strings seem to be quite cheap and its a name I'm familiar with. I have had a look on ebay and there are manufacturers who claim their strings are great and cheap and usa made etc but Im not familar with the brands and I'm a bit put off to get these. So, Hartke seem like a good option, anyone had any experience with these?

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='269760' date='Aug 25 2008, 08:57 PM']Got a triple-pack of these and they're very good. I'm no string expert though. Defo worth experimenting if you get them at a good price.

Edit: [url="http://www.calllarryhartke.com/"]phone Larry Hartke up[/url] and ask him who makes them.[/quote]

Alright thats good enough for me, I'll pick up a pack from the bay this evening

I bought 3 sets from eBay for something stupid like £11 and for the price they can't be knocked. They are 'probably' never going to rival DR strings for pure tone in a recording situation etc but it'd be an idiot that could claim that DR strings were ten times better than the Hartke ones if stuck on a cheap/mid priced bass used for playing down the local. :)

Got 2 sets of hartke strings and broke twice the B string while tuning it up to B (and no, I didnt tune them past B ). They broke at the tuning peg 3 semitones before they reached the B. Gave the other 4 strings to a friend that plays a 4stringer and wont buy that crap anymore.

Edited by Fraktal

[quote name='Fraktal' post='271825' date='Aug 28 2008, 03:03 PM']Got 2 sets of hartke strings and broke twice the B string while tuning it up to B (and no, I didnt tune them past B ). They broke at the tuning peg 3 semitones before they reached the B. Gave the other 4 strings to a friend that plays a 4stringer and wont buy that crap anymore.[/quote]

You may have just been unlucky :)

No disrespect intended but the string wasn't a 'slightly' larger scale and sticking in the nut?

After reading claims that these are D'Addario seconds/Ernie Balls/made from candy floss I phoned Larry Hartke up and asked him who makes them - he says it's not a famous brand but a small company that they use.

He does answer the phone as advertised. Seems like a nice guy.

Edit: looked at the packs and they say "Made In China" on them. Which maybe explains why they're so cheap. But they're still good.

Edited by stingrayfan

I've been using these strings for a while now and they seem to vary considerably in quality. I've had sets that lasted ages and kept a good tone but since I've been gigging again (so playing more) I've broken a couple on stage so I won't use them any more.

I also feel they're a bit hard on the old pinkies too, especially if you slide around a bit.

You pays your money......