Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR1200 opinions

fretmeister

Anyone got one?

I'm mostly playing 5 strings, but I quite fancy a 24fret 4 string for slappy tapping nonsense.

Anyone know what the weight of them is? The Ibanez site doesn't give weights, but PMT suggest about 3kg - which is under 7lb.

That seems like a misprint to me - it's far too light! But I wouldn't be upset if it is true!

I have the SR 1205 Premium, I got it recently and out of 80+ basses it is actually my first Ibanez. I was curious about this line as they seemed to have a more Warwick-esque vibe to them which made them stand out more than the rest of the Ibanez range. I must say I have been pleasantly surprised by the 1205, it does have a Warwick-ish tone but a bit more mid presence which is both good and bad. Playability wise it has been pretty easy to set up and I'm quite happy with the action.

The only negatives I have with the bass is the bridge as it is a nightmare to change the strings, the only other problems are that I find the mids are far too harsh even when set flat, as is the treble, so all three controls set flat gives you a weedy harsh sounding tone. I almost have to cut the mids and treble all together before I get a nice warm tone and then bring them back in gradually. The mid boost switch is a bit redundant IMO, it really doesn't make much of a noticeable difference so I tend to just leave it in the same position. I have been contemplating possibly changing the pick ups and preamp to a full Bartolini set up like the Prestige range as that might smoothen the tone and give me more control.