Why become a member? ×

June Composition Challenge - GET WRITING!

Skol303

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1434804440' post='2802930']
cheers young fella my lad, I have now had a listen through to all the others so far , and yes , some superb stuff in there , very listenable and enjoyable.

well done all so far
[/quote]
Now then, now then, now then...... The game has been taken up a notch. Rhyming "annoy ya" with "lawyer" was class but to follow that with "beck and call" rhymed against "what the heck n all" was pure genius. I really hoped this picture would take things in a different direction and I've not been disappointed. I'm working on something but I've been travelling a lot with work so I may not get it finished. Hopefully though. Fingers crossed.

[size=4]Finished! And a few days early... which is a rarity for me these days :blink:[/size]

[size=4]Mrs Skol took complete charge of baby-nursing duties today and kindly granted me some 'hermit time' in the new music room at home, and this is what I managed to concoct:[/size]

https://soundcloud.com/skollob/work-it-out

[size=4]Bass, guitars and piano played by yours truly. I'm especially pleased with the piano sound - mainly because I had no idea how to mic it up (!?) and so simply removed the top panel and placed my cheap (and only) condenser mic facing the hammers. I then manipulated the recording into what you hear on the track (lots of EQ'ing and careful reverb). Works for me.[/size]

[size=4]It's also the first track that I've [i]ever[/i] mixed using monitors, rather than headphones! Yeah, you'd think I'd have been using monitors long ago, but there you have it.[/size]

A productive day and plenty learned. Happy bunny :)

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1434809648' post='2802987']...
get it finished. Hopefully though. Fingers crossed.
[/quote]

[i]Low, whispered, hypnotic, repetitive voice[/i]...

[size=3]You will get it finished...[/size]

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1434809648' post='2802987']
Now then, now then, now then...... I'm working on something but I've been travelling a lot with work so I may not get it finished. Hopefully though. Fingers crossed.
[/quote]

Just thinking on , I could let you re-do the vocal on mine if you like :lol:

Now, if that doesn't get you pulling your finger out , nothing will ;)

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1434873444' post='2803386']

Just thinking on , I could let you re-do the vocal on mine if you like :lol:

Now, if that doesn't get you pulling your finger out , nothing will ;)
[/quote]
The vocal on yours is excellent. I have a few spare hrs tomorrow. I will give mine an honest bash then.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1434826791' post='2803165']
Finished! And a few days early... which is a rarity for me these days :blink:

Mrs Skol took complete charge of baby-nursing duties today and kindly granted me some 'hermit time' in the new music room at home, and this is what I managed to concoct:

[url="https://soundcloud.com/skollob/work-it-out"]https://soundcloud.c...lob/work-it-out[/url]

Bass, guitars and piano played by yours truly. I'm especially pleased with the piano sound - mainly because I had no idea how to mic it up (!?) and so simply removed the top panel and placed my cheap (and only) condenser mic facing the hammers. I then manipulated the recording into what you hear on the track (lots of EQ'ing and careful reverb). Works for me.

It's also the first track that I've [i]ever[/i] mixed using monitors, rather than headphones! Yeah, you'd think I'd have been using monitors long ago, but there you have it.

A productive day and plenty learned. Happy bunny :)
[/quote]

like this one, the piano sound is awesome

I was a bit out of my depth this month. I came up with something two weeks ago, was unsure if I wanted it to be my submission or not, but still liked it enough to post.

Fast forward 2 weeks, after many (failed, vain, put-adjective-of-your-choice-here) tries, I have to fall back on my first work. That being said, I'm still happy with it.

[url="https://soundcloud.com/jaedry/thrash"]Family Discourse[/url]

I like what the rest of you guys are doing though, some really creative entries considering the narrow scope of the subject.

[color=#800000][size=5][b]A quick reminder that the deadline for entries is today at midnight.[/b][/size][/color]

...well actually you have all night as I'll be launching the voting thread tomorrow morning. So if you're suffering from insomnia, then go for it.

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1434977913' post='2804317']
like this one, the piano sound is awesome
[/quote]

Thanks Rob! :) I was surprised at how well it recorded. I'm going to experiment with different mic positions to see what range of sounds I can get out of it.

Yay..! :party: :party: :party:

For those interested, my mini-reviews can be found here ...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/264693-play-of-the-day-basschat-composition-challenge-june/"]Play of the Day ...[/url]

Edited by Dad3353