Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a looper please ;) ...

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1432571541' post='2782813']
Lots of reviews and info on looping here - [url="http://www.loopers-delight.com/loop.html"]http://www.loopers-d...t.com/loop.html[/url]

This is something I recorded on my Ditto earlier - [url="https://soundcloud.com/an-ending-ascend/25052015-live"]https://soundcloud.c...d/25052015-live[/url]
[/quote]

Nice! can you tell us what "a few effects pedals" are, and how you constructed the track with the looper? I've not much further than "play the chords for a 12-bar" and solo over the top.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1432640523' post='2783432']

Nice! can you tell us what "a few effects pedals" are, and how you constructed the track with the looper? I've not much further than "play the chords for a 12-bar" and solo over the top.
[/quote]

Thanks, glad you like it !

I've trimmed down the effects that I'm using, I realised I wasn't using most of them. The only effects on this would be my TC hall of fame reverb using the Steve Lawson tone print. There's chorus too, which is an mxr. I have a TC flashback delay too, but I'm not sure if I used that on this.

It was an improvisation.

I'm going to write it out later, I'm happy to put a copy up if you want ?

It's all played using an ebow, except for the melody bit. The ebow has a switch, the high bits that sound like cries are with the switch in the down, away from you position.

Play the melody first, I usually have at least a 4 bar loop, that gives plenty of scope for improv and avoids it sounding too repetitive.

I have some videos that I recorded last week, they kind of show the process. A lot of it is down to how you hear what you're doing. I tend not to think bass.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1432643070' post='2783467']
Thanks, glad you like it !

I've trimmed down the effects that I'm using, I realised I wasn't using most of them. The only effects on this would be my TC hall of fame reverb using the Steve Lawson tone print. There's chorus too, which is an mxr. I have a TC flashback delay too, but I'm not sure if I used that on this.

It was an improvisation.

I'm going to write it out later, I'm happy to put a copy up if you want ?

It's all played using an ebow, except for the melody bit. The ebow has a switch, the high bits that sound like cries are with the switch in the down, away from you position.

Play the melody first, I usually have at least a 4 bar loop, that gives plenty of scope for improv and avoids it sounding too repetitive.

I have some videos that I recorded last week, they kind of show the process. A lot of it is down to how you hear what you're doing. I tend not to think bass.
[/quote]

Thanks, would really like to see the written-out version.

Do you use volume pedals for fade-in and outs? Or is that the effect of the ebow?

ps is "An Ascent Ending" a nod to Eno?

pps oh scrub that I've just read your Soundcloud profile :)

Ah interesting. My wife has bought me a Ditto X2 for my birthday. I did a lot of research and spoke to a few people, the Ditto's seemed to strike the right balance between cost and functions. Shame I've got to wait until Sunday for it. :(

Zoom B3 is a good, easy looper - Vic Wooten uses one on stage.

It also has loads of other stuff on there and drum loops too.

I can bring one to the Herts Bass Bash if you'd like to try one.

Edited by Grangur

Well, opened the Ditto X2 box yesterday afternoon. Not read the instruction manual yet (typical bloke I guess) but straight away, I was looping and making an unholy racket. Awesome bit of kit and so intuitive. Wife is working a late shift tonight, so will have more play time. But first impressions, simple, easy to use and well made.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1433156736' post='2788274']
Glad you're having fun with it . I got outbid on the ehx. I will get the dittox2 when I have funds;)
[/quote]

Unless you're gonna use the reverse/half speed effects, which to be honest are a bit gimmicky and something you'd maybe hardly ever use, I'd go for the normal ditto which for half the price.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1433157703' post='2788294']
Unless you're gonna use the reverse/half speed effects, which to be honest are a bit gimmicky and something you'd maybe hardly ever use, I'd go for the normal ditto which for half the price.
[/quote]

I found the X2's additional button an improvement over the single-button er, X1.

Now what I'd really like to see is is a "fade-out" option for the looped signal, or preferably an integral loop volume pedal.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1433157913' post='2788298']
I found the X2's additional button an improvement over the single-button er, X1.

Now what I'd really like to see is is a "fade-out" option for the looped signal, or preferably an integral loop volume pedal.
[/quote]

Yes, that would be useful. I started off by bending down to turn the volume knob down to fade out. Now I use a 2nd volume pedal after the Ditto.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1433158310' post='2788307']
Yes, that would be useful. I started off by bending down to turn the volume knob down to fade out. Now I use a 2nd volume pedal after the Ditto.
[/quote]

You can almost get enough traction on the big central loop level knob to turn it with you foot given a grippy enough shoe, but it's not reliable. Doesn't your second volume pedal affect your non-loop (direct) signal as well?