Why become a member? ×

Can someone please explain...

Sarah5string

He's not really making your life easy if that's the stuff he's giving you to play along to. It's pretty open ended - more like a compliment to a riff than a riff itself. IMO what ever bassline you put on that will become the riff. Maybe that a good thing? I'd be inclined to stick with what you've got there (maybe beef up that Bb-C bit with some 3rds, 4ths and 5ths) and get your head together with the drummer and work out some dynamics. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='270184' date='Aug 26 2008, 12:57 PM']He's not really making your life easy if that's the stuff he's giving you to play along to. It's pretty open ended - more like a compliment to a riff than a riff itself. IMO what ever bassline you put on that will become the riff. Maybe that a good thing? I'd be inclined to stick with what you've got there (maybe beef up that Bb-C bit with some 3rds, 4ths and 5ths) and get your head together with the drummer and work out some dynamics. :)[/quote]
Makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

[code]------------------|-------------------|
------------------|-------------------|
------------------|-------------------|
-------------1----|----------1-2-3----|
3-3-3-3---3----1--|3-3-3-3------------|[/code]

It's all about the rhythm though - short long short long rest three notes, short long short long three note walk up sustain, then back and hit that staccato downbeat hard

Another approach I might take would be to drop the one and then hit a load of 16ths (so if you count 1 e + a 2 e + a etc you're missing the 1 and then playing on the e + a 2 e + rest over a and 3 and then e + a 4 e +, then the next bar rest on 1 then play e + a 2 e + then rest and then walk up on the offbeats ( the + of 3 and the + of 4).

[code]---------------------|---------------------|
---------------------|---------------------|
-55555---55555-------|-55555------3----4---|
---------------------|---------------------|
--------3-------3----|--------3------------|[/code]

Another approach is to play short 1/4 notes on the root on the first six 1/4 notes, then leave a small pause and do a syncopated fill back into the 1/4 note roots. Etc.

These ways you're more of a rhythmic counterpoint to what the guitar is playing, you push against it and pull with it.

Focus on the rhythms, try mixing up short and long notes, leaving rests, playing syncopations. Think about what feel like the big notes and hit them together but then go elsewhere in between.

Alex

Edited by alexclaber

I reckon if a riff needs to sound heavy or "beefy" then you need to play the roots of the riff on the bass. However, if the song is "all riffs" then there will be no contrast. Decide which parts need to be heavy, and which parts need to "drop out" a bit. Then in the dropped out bits, play less notes and work out a rythm that fits well with the drums (or work out a rythm and tell the drummer what to play). That's what I do!

For example in a band (i'm playing drums) we have a song where the guitar part is basically one chord sequence played with a "constant" rythm, down strokes on every beat or something. This is for the chorus AND the verse, but to make them sound different the bassist made up a funky bassline that's in the same key but nothing to do with the changing roots for the verse, and then just copied the root notes for the chorus.

Sounds like some good ideas in there, but my tuppence'orth of ideas and suggestions;

1) Jam it with the drummer - guitarist in the room optional (loop a recording?)

2) The riff implies chords and harmonies - use the bass to make a statement and set down a progression or harmony (roots / inversions)

3) Where the guitar line goes up, bass line goes down

4) Swap instruments with the drummer and play along to 1)

5) Repeat 1).

6) Use pedals (if that's your thang) to add colour - a simple line with tonal movement can be effective

7) Repeat 1)

No need to do them all (obviously), but they may inspire some tangents to explore.

IMHO, a riff that leaves you with little to do but ...er...[i]follow the guitar[/i].

For the main riff, try half as many notes as you're currently playing. When it opens out, play twice as many. So, less busy under the main bit, more busy under the 'open' bit.

As an aside, I'd ask him to play it three times faster. Much more fun, and he'll have to come up with yet more riffs to fill the time available. :) Heh-heh-heh!

Edited by skankdelvar

I think for the opening/main riff, just follow the guitar, you're playing too much in that recording (IMO). It'll sound fat and tight and just be a cool beefy riff to nod your head to.
When it opens up a little and he goes high, what you're doing is just fine I reckon, remember there'll be a vocal there, melody or whatever, so although they'll be slightly more sonic space available to you because of the change in guitar part, you don't want to get in the way of the voice!

Si