Why become a member? ×

video projection system

Pinball

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1430506682' post='2762205']
Hi, I'm in a rock band and we play within a musical soundscape. It would be good to accompany this with changing projected imagery. Can someone suggest the basic kit needed to start?
[/quote]

I'm interested in this too.

For instance can i use my Android tablet connected to a projector?

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1430506682' post='2762205']
Hi, I'm in a rock band and we play within a musical soundscape.
[/quote]

Not sure what one of these is. Anything like a pub?

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1430562323' post='2762590']
I'm interested in this too.

For instance can i use my Android tablet connected to a projector?
[/quote]

That sounds good......I was thinking along those lines. A friend of mine bought a digital home projector quite cheaply a couple of years back and set up stuff for his 50th. Unfortunately I can't ask him for advice as he didn't make 51 :(

I'm building a system for this at the moment, it's sort of the ultimate requirement of my band

Extensible to as many projectors and or tv's or whatever you can afford

It's taking a long time to get the control software right at the moment
quite tricky stuff

If you're just playing a slide show from Windows picture manager, or a looped video or similar, it's easy to project it from a laptop/notepad so long as it's got an HDMI output.
Otherwise you'd need a projector with USB input.
You've also got to think about how far from your screen the projector is going to be situated, and how much light there is likely to be.
More light/further away means more powerful projector, which is more expensive. Frinstance, our village hall projector needed to produce a 5m image from 15m away. So we had to buy an Optoma at nearly £2k.
But my home projector only needed to produce a 2m pic at 3m away, hence it was £700. You can get cheaper than that if you're not enormously worried about absolute image quality.

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1430653750' post='2763387']
51m0n,

I wish i understood a word you have posted.....but alas i don't :(

But if you're constructing something that does this then Wahey!
[/quote]

Haha!

Trying not to give too much away, but in simple(ish) terms I want a system that can project from many different projectors live with no human controller that changes videos on one or many of the projectors on a kick drum beat.

I'm using Raspberry Pi mini computers to handle the projection side, since they have an HDMI out which will plug into projectors or TVs (a lot of pubs have TVs behind the staage, we can use that as well as the projectors we'll take with us)

Then I have another R Pi that listens to a footswitch I'm designing and the kick drum and tells the other Raspberry Pis when to change video over a small computer network. SHould be ablt to get a video change message to any of them in a few m/s, and then its how fast the projector pui can load and display the video.

Its not a trivial bit of DIY, but its really the code for the controller that is hardest.

The final solution will look a bit like ORac from Blakes 7 but be able to run 5 projectors in its first incarnation....

And yes they can project images or video, so they effectively can be spot lights rather than video displays some of the time.