Why become a member? ×

Starting a new metal project......Djent anyone?

Leen2112

My band Abandoned Stars are now on hiatus as our guitarist moved to France! So, as we couldn't find a replacement we have teamed up with another guitarist and keyboardist.
I have been playing prog rock/metal for years and now these new guys are heavily into 'new' metal and especially Djent.
I like a bit of Tesseract Periphery etc but getting my head round playing this style is difficult for me.
For a start, the guitarist doesn't play in standard tuning, he says he's tuned to B flat or A or some other. I spent a week trying to learn a track without realizing this! Now I think i should try to tune down so i can play these fast riffs easier.
I'm not sure the bass is playable tuned the same way as the guitars. I'm interested to hear from other Djenty style bass players and how they cope with down tuned guitars and whatnot. Help needed folks......

I'm sort of in the same boat :) love the same bands etc but struggle with djent style riffing probably coz I've played standard rock/metal for years. Joined current band a while back which has a some djent stuff tho more stoner doom prog. Certainly a new exciting avenue but still adapting.

I play 5 string in drop A but guitarist now plays in F# (previous album in A) both down tuned .. I'm staying in drop A tho.

If you play a 4 string, get the bottom BEAD strings from a 5 string set and bin the G, or get one of the various 4 string sets designed for drop tuning - you'll want at least a .130 B string if tuning to Bb or A, ideally slightly higher.

Also a bass with two pickups, bright steel rounds and played with a meaty pick into a Darkglass B3K or B7K pedal will sort out the tone department!

Edited by dannybuoy

Usually drop tunings but you can get away with standard... Drop tunings do my head in :P

Overdriven tones and a heavy picking technique are what I would personally go for, I like that clanky metallic sound though so it depends what you're into! I get it by using fingers aggressively, low action, lots of compression, sansamp, Darkglass, and a noise gate!

[quote name='Leen2112' timestamp='1430430653' post='2761484']
I play a 5 string mainly..So I can tune down to b flat and still make a bass sound rather than a blap?
[/quote]

Depends on the strings and the bass... I tuned one of my 6 strings down to G (purely for a laugh) and it still had plenty of attack! That was with a stainless steel .130 gauge

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1430430860' post='2761485']
Drop tunings do my head in :P
[/quote]

Mine too, there really is no need on bass.

I don't even drop tune on guitar for metal, it throws all my scale patterens out and it's really not that difficult to play the same chords in standard.

[quote name='Leen2112' timestamp='1430425573' post='2761424']
For a start, the guitarist doesn't play in standard tuning, he says he's tuned to B flat or A or some other. I spent a week trying to learn a track without realizing this! Now I think i should try to tune down so i can play these fast riffs easier.
I'm not sure the bass is playable tuned the same way as the guitars. I'm interested to hear from other Djenty style bass players and how they cope with down tuned guitars and whatnot. Help needed folks......
[/quote]

It's hard to know what he mea[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]ns if he says he tuned to A or Bb, could easily be A standard. However it depends how much of a TesseracT fan he is, Acle mainly plays in DADGAD but tuned to Bb ([/font][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][color="#232321"]Bb F Bb Eb F Bb Eb) with occasional Ab drops. I agree with Chris and Robs comments above drop tuning isn't necessary on bass at least (i can sort of see the point on guitar) so i'd prob go either A or Bb standard so you can match the bottom string. Depending on how much attack you like i'd consider a .145 to keep things nice and tight. [/color][/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][color="#232321"]Again agree with Dannybuoy and Sifi "darkglass" are great for that sort of tone (but not the only option), just remember not to overdo the drive. I see too many "Djent" bass players with a heavey driven/distorted sound and it just ends up being lost with the guitars. Clarity is king IMO.[/color][/font]