Why become a member? ×

First full dress rehearsal with new band- PA disaster

CHW

Last night we pulled together all of our bits of kit, and did a full rehearsal for our first gig as a band using our own gear in full. None of us has the luxury of a full PA and we are using the singers powered speakers, my mixer and various bits and pieces pulled together.

The speakers are just not cutting the mustard- allegedly 600watts but really struggling to deliver any clarity at volume. initially we put the acoustic guitar, upright bass and 3 vocals through the PA but it really couldn't cope. Even taking the guitar and bass out didn't clear up the vocals. I'm not sure whether it is an EQ problem (which I doubt as I'm not exactly new to this) or simply cheap speakers I don't know. First gig is in 10 days and I'm starting to panic!!!

Without any further info - the first thing I'd do, assuming you're just using a pair of tops, is put all instruments through a backline and leave the PA for vox only. We only put instruments through if we're using our active subs so they can take the LF strain and the 12" tops (800W program - but doesn't guarantee lack of 'mud' if the input is taxing) can do their thing on the higher freq programme.

Desk is a Soundcraft Spirit 6 channel jobbie. Not the greatest desk in the world but afaic should be more than adequate in quality. Mics are 2x SM58 for BV, and a Shure 55SH (it's the vintage looking one) for main vox. Speakers are Skytech CSA12 600w.

The source of annoyance was that even when we took out the guitar and bass the distortion was still there.

Mud implies lack of clarity in the woofer, break up of the horn or distortion is more common and probably a blown unit.
I am getting the impression that these cabs will not be able to perform reasonably and unless they prove otherwise,
you are going to have to make provision elsewhere.

They seem to me to be disco speakers so unless they were bought new, they've probably had a caning.
Either the chassis units are poor or the amps are... either way, I would be seriously doubting these will
do any sort of job..as your present rehearsal set-up is proving..??

I don't think you can magic up a good sound with these... sorry.

Yep- I think this is confirming what I already knew, but it's nice to have the alternative input.

Cheap cabs bought by someone inexperienced. Perfectly suitable for the home recording that she has done but nowhere near suitable for the rigours of a full acoustic band in a pub on a rowdy Saturday night.

It's a hire job I think.

I've got this sort of scenario coming up with my new band as again no one individual owns a full PA. Hopefully it'll all come together. We're looking to book an empty space to set up and then cajole someone with sound engineering experience to tweak stuff as we are playing, more time efficient than one of us trying to do 2 jobs at once. My contribution is the power amp (going with passive speakers, no idea what they actually are as yet).