Why become a member? ×

Orange Bass Terror DI issue?

JCBass

I recently purchased myself an OBT 500 Watt head after having played one on a whim in PMT, whilst originally looking for an ABM 500 EVO III, but was just blown away by the volume and tone of the Orange (and the fact that it was a good £250 cheaper!). I did a bit of research before purchasing and came across the complaints of the DI out not being great, and being far too loud, I was just wondering if that is still the case on newer models? I'm in the studio on Wednesday and would rather DI than lug my 4x10 there, and just don't want to turn up and not be able to record. Cheers in advance

The preamp comes with 12AX7 which give the valve grunt and the hot DI problem on the earlier models. I've changed mine to 12AT7's, which calm things down a bit. You can get around the hot DI with an inline attenuator, or DI box with some form of DB reduction.

Yes the new models are supposed to have this problem resolved. If not, you can use an inline XLR attenuator adapter.

And you don't need a cab connected to record, only full tube amps have that requirement (like the 15W guitar version of the Tiny Terror), this is a hybrid with a solid state power section and no output transformer.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1428586476' post='2742720']
Yes the new models are supposed to have this problem resolved. If not, you can use an inline XLR attenuator adapter.

And you don't need a cab connected to record, only full tube amps have that requirement (like the 15W guitar version of the Tiny Terror), this is a hybrid with a solid state power section and no output transformer.
[/quote]

I didn't realize this, my apologies for bad advice.

Just searched a few threads on the Orange forum. Apparently it's not possible to DI straight from the amp. (I've just tried it with my OBT and it hasn't worked)

E: Was referring to doing it without a cab. My mistake and error for wording.

Edited by Fisheth