Why become a member? ×

Fender Dimension Rough Around the Edges

Tripehound

As I had taken an interest in the USA Fender Dimension IV, I went into a well-known music shop and had a hands-on session with one today. Sounded very nice, if not quite as flexible as I had expected, but what surprised me was just how rough the finish was considering the price. The frets were so jagged it was uncomfortable to play. I know that things like that can be addressed but it adds to the cost of an already pricy (for me) instrument. Are they all like that or was it just a dodgy one?

I purchased a new American Deluxe Fender Dimension IV last week. Lovely neck and light weight body. I took it to rehearsal that evening and gigged it on Saturday - it was OK but i was a bit disappointed with the lack of tonal variation in the band context.

Then it started to niggle at me that this expensive bass with Fender's latest technology didn't sound any better the my MIM P or J basses. Got to yesterday and I decided to return it in exchange for something else.

I picked up a new Stingray, which although perhaps no better than other basses, has its own distinctive tone and plenty of variation. The Dimension was just rather bland and consequently very dissapoiting; and yes the fret edges on mine were a little sharp, although not so much as to cause a problem.