Why become a member? ×

2 Years playing. Not sure how well im doing

Twincam

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1428858748' post='2745346']
Anyway you cut it, she's [i]"big time"[/i] and I'm not.

And where I come from it would have been considered a big score. As in the difference between telling your mates; [i]" I'm on tour with Cher " and "Oh, I'm playing at Willies Burger Pub Friday night". :) [/i]

Blue
[/quote]

And it gets you a chip at that sort of table... in that unless you have all sorts of horror stories following you, they know you are
the right stuff from their POV. You know the score,. you have track record and you can play that standard...so all they have to do is like YOU and your type of playing. Being able to play and be comfortable at that level is a given because you've proved it.

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1428947976' post='2746306']
Adjusted for inflation that $500 should now be ~£1200... Shocking.
[/quote]

Depends what level she was at at that time..
Local guys on the circuit were asking £5k a week for MAJOR acts and one of those acts went on to be
pretty much THE act for a few years. She wouldn't pay that rate, as it would have broken her payscale
( she said ) so the guy never did all her major shows. The band stayed with her for years so that would
have been some income.
Another guy was out with a big UK band and he was able to buy a Porsche and a house from tour earnings
but then again they were BIG tours and again the act was THE gig for a jobbing sideman. He wont tell me how much
he earnt from various jobs but he basically had it all...

Those days seem to have gone as chart name girl acts pay these band average function bad money.according to guys after those sort of gigs now.. The older guys wont even go for the gig and they have special themed function bands as a main source of income..

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1428948480' post='2746316']but would you turn the gig down if you can get it and afford to live on the income?[/quote]

Hell no! - love playing live and a big crowd really in to it... unmissable.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1428799675' post='2744702']
Has the OP shared what his goal/goals are or what he wants to do with playing bass guitar?

Blue
[/quote]

Hey Blue my goals have changed every so often as i make improvements. I think at the moment my goals are simply to continue improving. I don't need other bass players to think im a great player and so on but i do want others to think that i can play a bit, if that makes sense.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1429018663' post='2747068']
I don't need other bass players to think im a great player and so on but i do want others to think that i can play a bit, if that makes sense.
[/quote]

Your [i]average [/i]non-bass player hasn't got much of a clue as to whether you can play a bit or not. As long as you're up to a basic standard, can remember the material and don't make any horrible noises, it's fine. I did an audition for a band a while back that chose their candidate by virtue of the fact he lived close to their rehearsal room. He's actually not a great bass player by any standards (I kid you not), but some people have very strange audition criteria. :rolleyes:

Edited by discreet

Hey Blue my goals have changed every so often as i make improvements. I think at the moment my goals are simply to continue improving. I don't need other bass players to think im a great player and so on but i do want others to think that i can play a bit, if that makes sense.
[/quote]

I think it might help if you explore your goals a bit deeper.
There are lots of folks who will knock having a plan in place because, well, "it's just not rock & roll" but I was like you once & then I discovered an article on jazzearadvice.com (I'll try to find it) & it gave me an insight on how to improve.
For years my practice would just be sitting down & playing bass with no real direction but now I won't often pick it up without knowing what I'm trying to achieve. Sometimes I noodle but not often.
Now my practice is structured, I have goals set & a plan on how to achieve them & time frames to meet, yes it's a bit anal (lol) but it works for me.
Try it for a month, set a realistic goal(s) & plan how to achieve it, then all you have to do is work towards that goal.

[/quote]

The respect of your peers is a reasonable aspiration :)

[/quote]

That's a realistic goal that most of us share.

Blue