Why become a member? ×

Your perfect rig...

Jarhead

[quote name='ped' post='265353' date='Aug 19 2008, 12:01 PM']Mine is basically what I have now, but in a case that I am having made, with a couple of additions. To wit:

Vigier basses > Roland Vbass > Line6 pod XT pro > out to IEMs and mixer/PA (Would maybe add a rack tuner and rack mixer)

In a case that looks something like this- not a very good picture but when closed up the unit will only be about up to my knee:

It will be light and easy to move and cater for my IEM addiction and be excellent for live and studio work. There is a place in Witney, Oxfordshire who I am discussing the case with. It will be made of quite lightweight stuff in flight case stylee.

I only adjust the Vbass when mucking about as I can switch between patches and perform basic parameter changes from my bass, so having it up higher will be great. The pod I never really touch as the main setting I have spent so long getting is just amazing so now it functions as a pre-amp basically.

Cheers
ped[/quote]
Thats pretty nice ped, when do you think your going to have it by? I imagine that would be versatile enough for anything, and considerably easier to move around then an amp and that gear, for instance my 50 watt is up to my knee, weighs a ton, and is a bugger to move because of the top mounted handle.
Zach

Edited by 5_string_death

[quote name='5_string_death' post='266037' date='Aug 20 2008, 02:46 AM']Thats pretty nice ped, when do you think your going to have it by? I imagine that would be versatile enough for anything, and considerably easier to move around then an amp and that gear, for instance my 50 watt is up to my knee, weighs a ton, and is a bugger to move because of the top mounted handle.
Zach[/quote]

Hi mate,

I have the 'rig' so to speak but need the box to be made. I am having trouble finding someone and the time to let them have the bits in order to make it, but I am actually considering making it myself. I have my own garage now don't you know but I will probably make a balls up of it.

All being well I will have someone working on it within a week. It should be a superb flexible little box. If I do use an amp at venues etc then I can take the necessary cable from the unit to that amp anyway as well as DI and IEM which I have done before a few times and this always sounds brilliant.

Cheers
ped

[quote name='johnnylager' post='266047' date='Aug 20 2008, 07:50 AM']This will do for a start

[attachment=12451:JohnBassRig1.jpeg][/quote]

*slight pleasurable accident!*

THAT is my kinda rig! the only problem is the bass seems to be missing a string :) was this some hideous accident or was it born like that :huh:

The ONLY thing I'd change is I'd have my SR5, but that's damn close!

*edited for bein an idiot*

is that actually J.E.'s rig..?!

Edited by phil_the_bassist

My perfect rig would be a Dingwall Z2 with a slightly different shape (some pointy edges, for the metal you know :)) with a flame top with a black see-through finish. The body wood would have to be something like Walnut, to give some REALLY strong mids, and the fingerboard would be ebony, the darkest possible. It would be a 5er, or maybe a 6er.
I would have another just like it but in green or red see-through and with a fretless fingerboard made of ebony.

Then I would have 2 Trace Elliot V4. One would go through a Berg NV215 and the other through a NV610.
On both I would have them very clean except for a slight boost on master volume for some power tube distortion.

[quote name='johnnylager' post='266047' date='Aug 20 2008, 07:50 AM']This will do for a start

[attachment=12451:JohnBassRig1.jpeg][/quote]

does anyone know if you can actually buy the bass horns at all? i know they're now in ashdown's "legacy products", but i never see them on ebay so i assume that means:

-you can't buy them
-hardly anyone bought them
-they're so f**kin' good no one sells them

i want a wall of 8 :)

[quote name='simondee' post='266457' date='Aug 20 2008, 05:00 PM']apologies for the silly cartoon, but this:

Saw it a few times live and his tone actually did bring a few tears.[/quote]
Everyone say it with me! 3,2,1... complicated! lol
does look like a good rig, but if something cuts out, good luck trying to find it lol
Zach

[quote name='ped' post='265353' date='Aug 19 2008, 12:01 PM']Mine is basically what I have now, but in a case that I am having made, with a couple of additions. To wit:

Vigier basses > Roland Vbass > Line6 pod XT pro > out to IEMs and mixer/PA (Would maybe add a rack tuner and rack mixer)

In a case that looks something like this- not a very good picture but when closed up the unit will only be about up to my knee:

It will be light and easy to move and cater for my IEM addiction and be excellent for live and studio work. There is a place in Witney, Oxfordshire who I am discussing the case with. It will be made of quite lightweight stuff in flight case stylee.

I only adjust the Vbass when mucking about as I can switch between patches and perform basic parameter changes from my bass, so having it up higher will be great. The pod I never really touch as the main setting I have spent so long getting is just amazing so now it functions as a pre-amp basically.

Cheers
ped[/quote]

Hey Ped,

Wouldn't it be cheaper to adapt one of these than have something built from scratch?:

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/6u_l_racks.html"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/6u_l_racks.html[/url]

Hi mate,

Definitely. That is what I was hoping to do. The ONLY problem is that the Vbass is slightly wider than the widest part of a rack unit (1cm each side wider than the rack sleeve), so having a 6u rack and putting the vbass on top isn't easy unless the top section is wider, and I can't tell if it is on many of these mixer rack types. I am SURE there must be something that would fit...

Something as simple as this [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_sr2012_studiorack.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_sr2012_studiorack.htm[/url] would suffice, but it will be too narrow - the Vbass would overhang the top and wouldn't slide inside even if I remove a section of the racking strips. At least I don't THINK it will based on my measurements. I think I need to take the Vbass to a shop and see if it would fit into a case if I butcher it a bit, but then I think I might as well just get a case made if I am going to get one anyway....

Decisions!!

ped