Why become a member? ×

Spector Legend tone woes

Andytre

I purchased a Spector Legend last year in the rather fetching Bubinga colour, and even though i love how it feels, looks and plays the tone is just not right, it sounds fantastic but there is bit too much mid range growl for the music Im playing, its currently running with the tone pump jnr and the SSD EMG pups that come as standard. Is there any changes anyone could suggest in terms of pre-amp or pickup changes? or whether i need to change just the pre or something?

i know that some of the USA models do come with Aguilar pickups and preamps, could this be the way to go?

i had put it up for sale on here a while back but withdrew it after picking it up again and loving how it played.

any help would be grand!

Definitely try a string change first. There's nothing wrong with the Tonepump Jr or the SSD EMG pickups. And that highly-desirable mid-range growl is what Spector is famous for and one of the reasons people buy them. Stuart Spector knows what he is doing.

What music are you using it for, if I may ask? :)

yeah there is nothing wrong with the tone, just not quite working! i play in a ska/punk band mainly but also get dragged in for playing bass in students bands in the college i work in as a tech. tbh i have a stingray SUB USA that is always perfect for the ska punk thing but i do love playing the Spector!

iv taken on the advice on string change and have a set of lighter gauge DR on route as we speak!

iv also been looking at the Glockenklang on board pre's as they seem to be regarded as pretty good, i also like the idea of a active/passive switch for more tonal fun. anyone had an experience with them? they're going on Thomann for £70 or so and i have a few review vouchers to redeem ;)

[quote name='Andytre' timestamp='1427125325' post='2726059']
iv also been looking at the Glockenklang on board pre's as they seem to be regarded as pretty good, i also like the idea of a active/passive switch for more tonal fun. anyone had an experience with them?
[/quote]

I haven't tried the glock onboard preamp but the EQ section of my Blue Soul amp is awesome... very clean and clear. It doesnt so much add colour as cleanly reproduce the sound of your bass. Good sound in = good sound out is my experience with glock gear.

Edited by CamdenRob

tried out the lighter gauge strings and it did help quite a bit, but due to the price i got it for and my love of tinkering i picked up a Glockenklang 2band on board pre amp and wow! it sounds fantastic! really clean with lovely low end and a nice top, and the active/passive is always good to have, the bass is now perfect! iv also kept the tone pump jnr as it a pretty simple swap, so now i have two tone option with only 10 minutes of soldering!