Why become a member? ×

Proposal - Musical Tech items should be allowed in the 'other musically related items' section

tedmanzie

I would like to propose we adapt the '[b]other musically related items[/b]' sales section to [i]include[/i] iPods, iPhones, Laptops, Macs, PCs, Software (programes, plugins etc) and hi fi equipment. eg. What is an iPod if it isn't musically related? :)

I understand and agree that the mods don't want this section to become a random boot sale but I am proposing that a small change would be a good thing. At the moment the tech items are relegated to the classifieds graveyard of the 'sell anything' section.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1426778074' post='2721848']
what's wrong with the "sell anything" section?
[/quote]

Only paying members can look in it, and also it hasn't really taken off as a sales section so the figures are this:

Sell Anything
378 topics
1,093 replies

Other Musically Related Items For Sale

14,650 topics
57,328 replies

In other words, the 'sell anything' is a bit of a dead section.
I do quite a lot of buying and selling, which I pay a fee for, so I'd like to be able to use the vastly better viewed 'other items' section :)

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1426779895' post='2721878']
I don't really see a problem with selling music tech hardware, software could be a bit of a minefield though - transferring licenses etc…
[/quote]

Different companies have different methods for this, some a less painful than others! But should be ok if the seller/buyer are legit and willing to do the legwork (it's usually just a small fee and a couple of emails)

Yeh, fair enough. I suppose the real problem is the visibility of the "sell anything" section.

If you could sell anything capable of playing music in the "other musically related..." area, then anyone on the internet could come here looking for smartphones and I guess that's what we're trying to avoid by keeping them separate

Just to play devils advocate here, maybe people simply are not interested in much of what is being advertised in the sell anything section - most of this (iPods, iPhones, Laptops, Macs, PCs, Software) becomes obsolete very quickly in a way that items like instruments(and their components), amps/cabs etc don't. Maybe the people that would buy a secondhand (iPod, iPhone, Laptop, Mac, PC) already have a huge choice in places that they can procure these items (CEX, cash converters etc) without the risk of postal accidents and with the benefit of having some comeback as opposed to none from a private sale over the internet.

Surely it would make more sense to have a separate subsection for the hi-fi/tech items, so that they can be easily found/browsed by interested parties without the need to spam another forum section with them - having to wade through lots of ads for things you don't want is bad from both buyers and sellers perspective IMHO.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1426780793' post='2721885']
Yeh, fair enough. I suppose the real problem is the visibility of the "sell anything" section.

If you could sell anything capable of playing music in the "other musically related..." area, then anyone on the internet could come here looking for smartphones and I guess that's what we're trying to avoid by keeping them separate
[/quote]

I suppose you could make an exception for phones - i.e. phones have to remain in the 'sell anything' rather than 'music related items' - seeing as the primary use of a smartphone is as 'a phone'. That wouldn't bother me anyway, but I would like to see the other items accepted.

Subsonic's idea of a 'high tech' sub cat could work perhaps.

Maybe you could trial it for a month and if it gets out of control with gadgets then think again?