Why become a member? ×

Buying a bass in Japan

aryustailm

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience buying a bass abroad and bringing it back to the UK?

I played a beautiful Atelier-Z today, but getting it back on the plane seems like a potential debacle. A little brief googling suggests it's a gamble as to whether the crew will stow it in the cabin. What happens if they can't?

Also, do I need worry about import VAT or customs duty?

I'm flying with Virgin Atlantic (operated by Nippon Airways) if that's of any use!

Many thanks!

Edited by aryustailm

Seems pretty clear, from VA's website:

[b] [i] "Musical instruments[/i][/b]

[i]If you’re planning on bringing a musical instrument with you, bear in mind it may not fit within your hand baggage allowance.
If it exceeds the hand baggage allowance measurements, you’ll need to check it in (and pay an [url="http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en/travel-information/baggage/additional-baggage.html"]additional baggage fee[/url], if it takes you over your check in allowance).
However, rather than checking it in on the spot we’ll still ask you to carry it through to the airport security checkpoint (subject to relevant Airport Security approval). As instruments are especially fragile, this ensures safer carriage. It will be taken at the departure gate for loading into the hold of the aircraft, so please make sure it’s suitably protected when you pack it.
Alternatively, you can carry a maximum of two instruments onboard if you book a seat for each one. Each instrument cannot exceed 75kg (165 lb) and its centre of mass should be no more than 30cm (12 inches) above the top of the seat cushion.
For any questions about bringing a large musical instrument, please contact us in advance of your flight."[/i]

I haven't imported anything for a number of years, but in the late 80s I was gifted a couple of basses from Warwick, and even though they were gifts I still had to pay something like £400 in import tax. Of course things may have changed since, but my guess is that you will have to pay something.

Edited by SteveK

The import duty rate for importing Musical instrument into United Kingdom is 3.7%, the import VAT is 20%. Adding 25% is a good rule of thumb. Remember that duty and VAT is also applied to shipping costs.

There's a useful import duty calculator here - [url="http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/"]http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/[/url]

I've brought guitars (not basses) back from Japan twice. However both times I was flying business class and was able to bring it on board and store it in the suit locker. Also on one occasion was so late arriving at the check in that I only just made the flight and I doubt if anyone even noticed the guitar in its gig bag on my shoulder until I was on board.

A bass is quite a bit bigger than the average guitar and if you are travelling tourist class I would be reluctant to try and fly back with it unless it was in a proper flight case (Hiscox Liteflite would be the minimum standard I'd trust). IMO you would be better off getting the shop to ship the bass back to your UK address. Japanese businesses excel at service and they should be more than capable of doing this for you. Expect shipping to be somewhere between £100 - £150 and to have to pay around 25% of the purchase price plus the shipping costs in VAT and import duty.

Not sure if this helps but we import Sadowsky Metro basses direct from Tokyo using Japan Post's EMS service.

Costs £115 per instrument (£145 including UK taxes).

They hit the UK really quickly but can be held at customs for about a week for clearance prior to delivery to a local Parcelforce depot.

After that you pay the taxes, duties and an £8 service charge.

Thanks all

I have a bit of time left in Japan, so will see if the GAS ends up strong enough to merit the hassle!

Nippon Airways are apparently quite instrument friendly (or were), but getting it posted seems like an appealing option - less bags to lug to the airport.

Cheers :)

Edited by aryustailm

Hope for the best plan for the worst. I've travelled with basses on planes regularly and always put them in the bomb proof flight case. No matter what they say about you being able to take it into the cabin, if you arrive with a soft case for cabin storage and the check in desk forces you to stow it in the hold its game over! Never worth the risk.