Why become a member? ×

Warwick 4 thumb bolt on bass question?

BigBearKris

Hi all.

I'm relatively new to bass so I wanted to ask fellow forum members about this guitar.

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/warwick-thumb-4-bolt-on-pre-owned/114284

Is that a good price for a good bass? Pros and cons?
I'm mostly blues+rock player and I want a quality bass for practice. I owned a Sterling by MM sub Ray and quite liked it. I've played Warwick bass once but unfortunately cannot remember which model was it.
I know You guys know Your stuff so it'd be great to hear your opinions.
Kind regards

In my humble opinion it isn't a great price.
Warwick prices are all over the place in the pre owned world and for a bolt on 4 string from 98 that's a bit expensive.

Definitely check out the classifieds here.

I'd also suggest trying out any perspective thumb (well any potential purchase really) as the neck profile, balance and feel can change drastically from year to year of manufacture. Trying different basses is all the fun!

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1426364564' post='2717428']
Warwick prices are all over the place in the pre owned world and for a bolt on 4 string from 98 that's a bit expensive.

Definitely check out the classifieds here.

I'd also suggest trying out any perspective thumb (well any potential purchase really) as the neck profile, balance and feel can change drastically from year to year of manufacture. Trying different basses is all the fun!
[/quote]
This is good advice....

It is a lovely looking instrument but I would want to play it first before shelling out with regard to the aforementioned points about profile, balance etc.

In the current climate - price hmmm. Get to a few shops, try various Warwicks. You may find other variants e.g. corvette, streamer also of interest. Good German corvettes seem to fetch between £350 to £500 on BC at the moment. They are great basses, especially at the money. Good advice about neck profiles, check them out and decide what you like - mine have extremely different neck profiles, baseball bat through to super slim 'shredding'.

Get the purchase right first time and the Warwick will do for practice, gigs, recording and whatever. Will last you a lifetime.

Edited by 3below

[quote name='BigBearKris' timestamp='1426362751' post='2717403']
Hi all.

I'm relatively new to bass so I wanted to ask fellow forum members about this guitar.

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/warwick-thumb-4-bolt-on-pre-owned/114284"]http://www.gak.co.uk...re-owned/114284[/url]

Is that a good price for a good bass? Pros and cons?
I'm mostly blues+rock player and I want a quality bass for practice. I owned a Sterling by MM sub Ray and quite liked it. I've played Warwick bass once but unfortunately cannot remember which model was it.
I know You guys know Your stuff so it'd be great to hear your opinions.
Kind regards
[/quote]

This looks like a great bass! I had a 1999 Thumb just like it!

I much prefer the slimmer wenge (the GAK listing is wrong) necks they use to use back then. After 1999 they switched to ovangkol and for some reason completely changed the neck profile!