Why become a member? ×

Band dilemma

ras52

Probably more of a suck-it-and-see scenario than a dilemma, but excuse me while I think aloud...

As a 50-something divorced dad with a day job and a parenting schedule that makes me unavailable for rehearsing/gigging every other weekend, I’m in no position to join a busy ambitious band. My creative urges have recently been channelled into songwriting, but my itchy bass fingers want more than just playing on my demos. So I want to find a playing opportunity independent of the writing, which I still want to pursue as my main creative venture. Yes, I know, I want it all ;)

So after a trawl of Bandmix/Join my band/Gumtree, I’ve found a couple of local bands who’ve invited me down for a mutual check-out. I’ve been upfront about my restricted availability.

Band 1: a classic rock covers band, who seem to be of my era. Their repertoire includes Bowie, Queen, Floyd, which is all good for me. The also do All Right Now :o This band has been doing pub gigs for a while, and is currently off-road pending the arrival of a new bass player. The leader also has another band.

Band 2: Indie originals, advertised for someone aged 30+. “influences including Smiths, Cure, Suede, Keane, Band of Horses, Blur”, so the generation after mine. No gigs yet, but there’s a SoundCloud page of well-recorded full-band songs, with bass lines that aren’t just root notes :P

Now, if it were up to me, I’d be playing original weird stuff with some eclectic obscure covers thrown in, so neither band is a box-ticker on that front, but for me this will about the joy of playing live. In that context, I’m leaning toward Band 1, as its goals seem more in keeping with mine, i.e. taking it seriously but doing it for fun. Of course they will probably both tell me to eff off after we meet.

And Band 1 will more likely get a dep if needed as the material is more typical.
As you say, no one band stands out but you want to play live so I'd go with the
band that is gigging.
The only thing that would make me think again is what sort of gigs are band 2 looking
to do as Band 1 will be pubs and more pubs and then a few pubs after that..??

I would say band 2. The indie band would be a good match for you and your restricted availability. That's if the indie market is anything like it us in my region, Milwaukee WI. Being available every other weekend would not be a problem as Indie bands gig so infrequently.

Blue

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1426275217' post='2716571']
I`ve been in a few covers bands, but the one I had the most fun in was where I was playing music I grew up with. Go with Band 1.
[/quote]

This resonates... I'm just back from my audition and it was a blast! They're seeing another bassist next week, but the stars are looking well-aligned: the drummer and I support the same football team, and the guitarist and I were both playing white Fenders B)