Why become a member? ×

Williamscot Bass

Fenderphil

Hello Basschatters....
new to this topic lark.
Im a Professional Musician currently on tour with Shrek The Musical.

Was spreading the word/checking out general consensus on these new Williamscot Basses...
For those who may not have heard of them, you are forgiven as they are less than a week old (from the date of this post!)
Launched at the London Bass Guitar Show last weekend they are under the same company as Thomas & George Martin Basses ([url="http://www.thomasmartin.co.uk"]http://www.thomasmartin.co.uk[/url]) who are renowned for making and selling some of the best and rarest double basses in the world.

Williamscot Basses aim (and so far succeed) to being the best and bespoke [i][u]hand made [/u][/i]basses

[color=#000080][i]"All our Williamscot bass guitars are completely handmade one by one. We do not use CNC machines or PIN Routers; this makes each bass an individual with no two being the same.[/i][/color]

[color=#000080][i]Full customization is available for every bass and we are able to cater to your exact requirements or if you are not 100% sure what you want we are here to guide you. Williamscot basses are available in 4, 5 and 6 string configuration. We also make neck through basses as well as bolt on neck basses."[/i][/color]

So would be interested to see what people thought, especially any who played these basses at the London Bass Guitar Show. Many "players" such as Yolanda Charles, Steve Lawson, Zoltan Dekany (who was on the stand with me) and many others played the basses and just couldn't get over how much they loved them!

Williamscot are also giving away one of their basses in a competition, to enter all one needs to do is "like" the Facebook page

[url="https://www.facebook.com/williamscotbass?fref=ts"]https://www.facebook...cotbass?fref=ts[/url]

Thoughts on the basses...
GO!

Phil

Edited by Fenderphil

[quote name='Fenderphil' timestamp='1426154318' post='2714920']
Williamscot Basses aim (and so far succeed) to being the best and bespoke [i][u]hand made [/u][/i]basses
[/quote]

I saw these at the bass show, didn't get a chance to try one out but they looked good, saw a guy trying one that looked a little like a Marleaux consat which was particularly tasty.

As for being the best, well thats a tall order with established UK builders like Wal, Status, Overwater etc... not to mention more esoteric designs by manufacturers like Gus and smaller boutique builders like ACG, Eve, Anaconda etc. gaining more widespread recognition. Times are good for UK bass building but I would expect it's getting harder to stand out in the crowd.

Good luck to them though :)

Edited by CamdenRob

I would like to think that there's always a place for another UK based bass manufacturer provided that they can offer something unique, and aren't just producing copies of other well known instruments.

I've bookmarked their site (which brings my list of UK custom bass luthiers to just under 60 and I'm sure that's not exhaustive). However I think they should do something about the intro page which is not at all user friendly if they want to get more people exploring the site fully.

Hi guys. I spent quite and but of time checking it both the double basses and a couple of the Williamscott electrics. I particularly liked the 5-string fretted bass with the single cutaway. Played like a dream with a great sound. I found the EQ and quantity of knobs a little over the top (the bass sounded best with the EQ flat) but structurally the instrument was one of the best I've played. Slightly concerned about the price point for these instruments though; at £5K the aforementioned 5-string is way out of most professional musician's budget. I realise that these are completely handmade but so are numerous boutique instruments from well-established luthiers. At £5K you're firmly in Fodera territory where even seasoned professionals are unlikely to delve except in their dreams!
Great to see Tom Martin on the stand too; he was head of department when I studied at GSMD so it was lovely to catch up. Great to meet Fenderphil too!
Good luck with the basses folks. I look forward to seeing your instruments out in the field as it were...

Edited by simonlittle

[quote name='simonlittle' timestamp='1426181667' post='2715382']
At £5K you're firmly in Fodera territory
[/quote]

I didn't realise they were £5K... That puts these basses in exalted company, you can get a new Wal sixer for not much more than that.

For me you have to be offering something pretty special to warrent spending a couple of grand more than an uber spec ACG.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1426233545' post='2715833']
I didn't realise they were £5K... That puts these basses in exalted company, you can get a new Wal sixer for not much more than that.

For me you have to be offering something pretty special to warrent spending a couple of grand more than an uber spec ACG.
[/quote]

Personally I can't understand how any bass that isn't some ultra-cheap copy of a Fender P or J can be a substitute for another.

If all we wanted was an electric stringed instrument capable of producing low notes we'd all be playing Squiers or Haley Bentons.

I had the good fortune of trying out their Gagliano bass and it was the highlight of the visit for me. Awesome bass and beautiful to look at... I instantly fell for it and would love to have in my collection but very pricey.
I chatted to George and he was a really nice guy and I hope the brand does well and takes off. Good to support a quality British brand!

Edited by Clint

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Joeyfivebags' timestamp='1427734346' post='2733636']
I'm sure this must be what I saw daflewis playing at wicked at Apollo London recently. Only saw the back and was confused by the neck bolt arrangement. Look like very nice instruments, deffinately out of my reach tho.
[/quote]

Hey.
Daf plays Warwick overwater And mainly parka basses. :-)

Yeah all three of those were there, along with something with a curved neck bolt line. Can't think of anything else it could have been, either that or my eyes were playing tricks on me.

Edit: headstock looks about right if I can remember rightly also

Edited by Joeyfivebags

• 2 months later...

Hi Joey,
I do have a Schack which does look quite similar so it may have been that that you saw :)

But just to set the record straight, AFTER THE WAY THEY KEPT ME HANGING AROUND AND THEN RIPPED ME OFF A FEW YEARS AGO, THERE'S NO WAY ANYONE WILL EVER SEE ME PLAYING ONE OF THEIR BASSES!!

Daf

I played a 5 string fretless (very badly as is my want) on their stand at the LBGS. I have to say it came dangerously close to causing a flexing of the credit card. I am not usually one for really expensive instruments as I don't believe my standard of playing does, or probably ever will do, them justice but the one they played really did show me how a top quality instrument can make you reassess your perceptions.

If I could ever afford a custom built instrument, and having played one of these basses, it would definitely make it onto my shortlist.