Why become a member? ×

Precisions; Highway One vs Roger Waters

Wilco

After stupidly getting rid of a very nice P bass in January when I didn't really need it, I now need one..... Hindsight is a wonderful thing!!

The band I am now in is doing some Floyd hence the interest in the RW bass, however I love my Highway One Jazz & am thinking the P version of that therefore might appeal. These would also fit the budget of around £400 - £500 used.

I know I am at the mercy of what becomes available used instrument wise, but if one of each came up, which one would you go for & why?

Cheers,

Wilco

I personally think a High way P will do the job. Should say Fender P bass would do the job.

I do quite like the look on the RW bass. If I'm remember correctly, it has a Seymour Duncan pickup and badass brdige i think. The glossy maple neck is something I really liked.

Talking about badass bridge, I think the HW bass uses badass bridge.

I had similar situation 2 years ago, I ended up just modding my MIM P bass. Swap them for a duncan pickup and swap a maple neck to the p bass. Altho I choose a jazz neck over the precision neck.

i`m sure a SD QP isn`t necessary to get the sound needed, so I`d pick up the first decent Precision that comes along. HW1s seem to be a lot thinner on the ground than they used to be, but makes sense if you are happy with the Jazz to source one of the Precisions as well.

I have a 2003 HW1 next to a 2014 RW sig, quite different basses really. Neck width 1.5 v 1.75, nut 'artificial bone' v brass. rosewood v maple fingerboard, shallow c v deep c shape/feel, truss rod at head v heel, standard MiM style v 70's style tuners. Standard Fended P pick up v Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound, Ash body (Transparent Wine) v Alder, 3 ply v single pickguard, chrome v black bridge & knobs, (BadAss bridge on the later HW1's).

What have I missed?

They both do the job, the RW would be my choice - based purely on the 'doing Floyd stuff' :rolleyes: B)

Edit: Exactly as Lozz says "I`d pick up the first decent Precision that comes along."

Edited by KiOgon