Why become a member? ×

Yamaha-EZ-AG-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-Synth-Midi-Controller-EG-Bass-Piano-Keytar

No idea what this is...remember seeing something similar back in the mid 80s...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-EZ-AG-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-Synth-Midi-Controller-EG-Bass-Piano-Keytar-/281616595374?pt=Guitar&hash=item4191a839ae

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1425568674' post='2708701']
Don't ask me how I know, but they don't work as a midi controller...that was a long year.
[/quote]

I've got an EZ-EG which AFAICS is exactly the same but with a "Strat-ish" shaped thin body. I've been able to make it work perfectly well as a MIDI controller. You do have to modify some of the MIDI sound module/synth's sustain/release and velocity sensitivity parameters to get the best out of it.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1425569953' post='2708718']

I've got an EZ-EG which AFAICS is exactly the same but with a "Strat-ish" shaped thin body. I've been able to make it work perfectly well as a MIDI controller. You do have to modify some of the MIDI sound module/synth's sustain/release and velocity sensitivity parameters to get the best out of it.
[/quote]

I sold them for a year and had people bringing them back as they couldn't make them work in that capacity, maybe the didn't try hard enough. I don't miss that job 😄

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1425570227' post='2708720']
I sold them for a year and had people bringing them back as they couldn't make them work in that capacity, maybe the didn't try hard enough. I don't miss that job
[/quote]

Maybe not.

It's not easy but it does work, and you also have to have a multi-timberal sound source with at least 6 parts - one for each string - that operates on 6 adjacent MIDI channels. It does require a fair bit of MIDI knowledge and an understanding of how a guitar responds to playing otherwise you'll get very little useful out of it.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1425580349' post='2708832']
@BigRedX - how would you compare the Yamaha to the YouRock Gen2?
[/quote]

I've not been able to try a YouRock of any description so far, but given that it's 15 years more advanced than the EZ-EG I would hope that it would be a significant step forward in terms of playability and MIDI versatility.

Also the two products appear to be aimed at quite different markets. The EZ-EG is most definitely aimed at (Japanese) people who want to learn the guitar but need to do so in a reasonably silent environment - it's whole design is that of a guitar version of the home keyboards with the lighting up keys to show you what to play, and it's MIDI capabilities are an add-on that was probably cheap and easy to implement.

Edited by BigRedX