Why become a member? ×

Complete turn of face

JamesBass

So over the past few years I've gone from having a lightweight-ish combo, to a huge monster of a rig. Now though, I want to go back down in size for portability purposes, but I don't know what to get!

Currently I play though an Ashdown CTM300 and love the warmth the tone has, but I just don't need to push the valves anymore with any of my projects so having the big old school valve drive is just not worth it, especially when it weighs so much! This runs through a Laney RB410, and while it's not the best match it certainly sounds good!

I know I'm gonna go for an Aguilar TH500 head, but I'm really not knowledgable about what cabs are out there! I want a rig I can add to eventually to make it louder with more speakers but really not sure what to go for?! The Aguilar SL112 sounds awesome but I quite like the idea of having a really nice 115 cab and then adding either a 112 or a 210 to it sometime in the future, what would people recommend? Budget is open to suggestion! Portability and tone are my main wants!

TH500..???
2xTKS S112's ... no question.
If a single 115 was required, I'd call BassGear to see what TKS15's they have in demo...
A quick play with one recently showed they are exceptional..and I am no 115 apologist
by any means..

[quote name='GILLY' timestamp='1425309929' post='2706077']
You might like to read my ramblings (post 375) here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/212014-tks-engineering-cabs-new-to-the-uk/page__pid__2704858__st__360#entry2704858"]http://basschat.co.u...60#entry2704858[/url]
[/quote]

The old TKS H115 is an awesome cab. Very similar in size, weight and tone to my Barefaced Big One. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/192-jd1/"]JD1[/url], who is a member on here, has one and told me last week that he might be looking to sell it sometime soon - might be worth a speculative PM... ;)

Well I use my TH500 with a Barefaced cab (Super 12T) and it sounds awesome, so I`d recommend them in an instant. But if I were on a tighter budget than Barefaced I`d be looking at TKS - they seem awesome from the write-ups.

Cheers for the replies! Barefaced and TKS seem to be getting the most love without a doubt, still need to move my Ashdown on before any foray in to the market happens, but I like to know what I'm saving for if you get me!

@Gilly, your review seems like it's exactly what I'm after! I play a slightly upgraded MIM 2011 P bass fitted with TI flats, and a KiOgon loom and it sings through any amp I use! But portability and tone to £ ratio is certainly what I'm after!